Monday, February 5, 2018

Book Review: I, Coriander

Several things attracted me to this audio selection, I Coriander, by Sally Gardner. First off, the cover art is gorgeous. Second, it promises an interview with the author at the end (I'm always a sucker for such things because I love to hear more about the process of writing from authors). As a tween read, I was certain it would be a clean read. Finally, I saw that it is read by Juliet Stevenson (you might know her from a few of her films Truly, Madly, Deeply, Bend It Like Beckham, or Mona Lisa Smile). Her narration is delightful.

Coriander Hobie sets out to tell her tale by the light of seven candles. Each candle's length provides a portion of her story. She tells of life with her mother and father, silver shoes that seemed to be made just for her, a stuffed alligator kept in her father's study, and a strange, enticing land full of magic and fairies. The fairy tale she shares is sure to keep readers on the edge of their seats waiting to know what comes next.

The novel is set in London during the 17th century in a period of political unrest, but it bridges a gap between the real world and a more magical world of fairies. Although, I'm not generally drawn to fairy tales, this one was well-done. I loved the main character, Coriander. She has pluck and spunk and deals with the many unpleasantries that come her way.

I should note, however, that Christian parents might wish to listen to this tale alongside their offspring and use it as a discussion tool. The author paints religious people in a very bad light. The Puritan step-mother and her minister friend are quite despicable and evil, all while touting that they are serving God. While I don't dispute that Puritans often were legalistic and fanatical, a child listening to the story might get the impression that belief in God is obviously a bad thing and will lead to the abusive behaviors the Puritan characters demonstrate. I did enjoy the story and believe it is worth exploring, with some caution.

No comments: