Saturday, August 24, 2019

Book Review: Emily's Fortune

I seem to be in a middle grade jag. My audio selections have all been the short ones selected to fill the time prior to my camp departure. I've sacrificed some of my usual reading time for binge-watching Downton Abbey (a Masterpiece Theatre series I have avoided until now, despite its popularity among many of my friends - indeed, one travel agent friend is even hosting a tour of British showcase homes with a Downton Abbey theme and if I was rolling in money, I might join). Thankfully, my library has all six seasons on DVD and I devote one or two hours each day to keeping up (I'm feeling shattered because I've just finished the episode with the death of one of the sweetest cast members).

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is always a good bet for a suitable middle grade story. Emily Wiggins is in a world of trouble after her mother's death. It seems as if everyone wants to get their hands on her. The Catchum Child-Catching Services will receive a monetary bonus if they place her in a home. Her despicable Uncle Victor hopes to find her first for his own nefarious purposes. She intends to make her way by stagecoach to her one reliable relative, her aunt Hilda. Paired with an orphan boy, Jackson, Emily takes on a disguise and outwits her opponents.

Emily's Fortune is full of suspense and intrigue, every chapter ending with a catchy phrase to keep the reader turning pages. Kids will rally behind Emily and root for her good. They will enjoy the colorful word usage with alliterative phrases like "tumblin' tarnation," "flippin' flapjacks," and "blinkin' bloomers." If you're on the lookout for a great audio experience for a brief car trip, this is a great choice for listeners between the ages of 7 and 11. It would also make an outstanding read-aloud for grades 3-5. Plus, Naylor has written a companion book called Emily and Jackson Hiding Out.

No comments: