Monday, December 6, 2021

Book Review: Window on the Bay

Thankfully, you can always trust a Debbie Macomber book for a clean read. Window on the Bay was no exception. Although I wasn't in the mood for romance, this fit the bill for an engaging story to fill my treadmill time. The story centers on two divorced women who have all but written off love and find it in the least expected places. I found the book while seeking stories about Paris. This book only mentions Paris as a destination the two friends hope to visit. 

Sadly, this wasn't my favorite Macomber book. I struggled with the main characters, never drawn to either woman. One is out of touch with her children. She seems to have no idea how far her college daughter is going off the rails. Plus, she's unaware her son has abandoned school for a job she considers beneath him. The other woman is a librarian who supposedly has never encountered and cannot grasp football. She thinks her sports loving boyfriend would enjoy a night at the ballet to observe the dancers' far superior athletic abilities. Perhaps the author painted the women with too broad of strokes to draw the reader in entirely. I wanted to root for them more and feel connected to the story. In the end, it was only a fair distraction from my exercise regimen. Yet, I will give Macomber another try, if only for the promise of a clean listen.

No comments: