Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: Clean Gut

I'm not sure why I read so many of these "clean-eating" books and then fail to implement the knowledge into my habits and lifestyle.  My head fully believes their claims, but my actions never back up what my head believes.  I want to improve my health ... lose weight ... get off medications for depression ... do a better job, in general, of taking care of the body God has given me.  Yet, I never seem to make the essential changes suggested.

This book, Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health, by Dr. Alejandro Junger, suggests that the root cause of all disease and ill-health stems from an injured and irritated gut.  He outlines numerous difficulties which he claims are the outcome of a damaged or compromised gut.  Inflammation, heart disease, cancer, depression, allergies, autoimmune diseases, back pain, infertility, and gluten sensitivity are all tied to problems with the digestive track and the food we are eating.  Yet modern doctors continue to approach illness and disease with the classic "pill for an ill" mentality. 

Like so many others, Dr. Junger encourages his reader to consider making changes in their diet to eliminate the toxins and build-up of bad bacteria in the gut.  His suggestion?  He advocates a 21 day elimination diet and then a 7 day reintroduction diet to determine which food items are causing the most difficulties for an individual (for some it might be gluten, for others it might be dairy).  I appreciate that he emphasizes the need for supplements while on the elimination diet.  I embrace the findings he claims.  Somehow, I cannot seem to implement these suggestions into my day-to-day living. 

In fact, as I write this post, I am enjoying a Keebler Pitter-Patter cookie.  Why?  Because it is mid-morning and my body is craving a sweet snack.  Because I lack the will-power to reach for a banana or a handful of nuts instead.  Because I must not want the results badly enough to stop eating the things I know are harmful.

I do believe the success stories listed.  I know that I would benefit from a diet more solely dependent upon green leafy vegetables and animal or vegetable proteins.  I agree that there is probably some trick to combining our foods in a better manner for optimal absorption.  The diets just seem so extreme.  I look at the Clean Gut Diet Food List (both eat and don't eat categories) and feel overwhelmed.  I watch my husband eat many of the acceptable foods and know that his diet is key to his wonderful sense of well-being and good health.  So, why is it so difficult for me to make the changes and get away from the foods I know are destroying me?

I will say that I found the recipe section to be wholly unlikely for me to follow.  I'm not saying others would have difficulty with it.  I just know that I would seldom, if ever, attempt the recipes listed.  For one thing, so many of them (smoothies included) start with some form of coconut oil or coconut milk.  Coconut? Yuck!  Moreover, most of the recipes call for numerous ingredients.  I think I would stand a better chance tackling whole foods as suggested in Mary-Ann Shearer's book, Perfect Health.  I can't see myself taking an hour to whip up a batch of Chicken Pot Pie or Turkey Chili.  Still, if I had access to a cook who would devote the time and energy to making this diet available, I would whole-heartedly follow the program.  I guess it is too much effort and that is SAD!  My health should be worth the effort, no?

I plan to make a copy of the page listing the eat and don't eat categories.  I hope to attempt to eliminate some of the things deemed harmful.  I doubt I will go whole-hog and follow the elimination diet entirely.  As a result, I probably won't see the dynamic changes Dr. Junger promises.  But, if you are fed up with ill-health and want to start clean, you can't go wrong reading Dr. Junger's book and attempting to clean up your diet with this month-long program.  If you do, you have more dedication and motivation than I do!  Good on ya!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I love this post, because I am so this way. I know some of the things I should do or try, and I just ... don't want to. The downsides of continuing on the way I have been haven't yet been overshadowed by the downsides of giving up my usual lifestyle (read: eating habits).

Wendy Hill said...

Yes Sheila - if I were having significant health problems (instead of the mere need to lose about ten pounds), I might be more inclined to take these lessons to heart. Still, I love to read about what I should be doing without actually doing what I should be doing. Ha!