Friday, January 30, 2015

Recipe Find Friday - Chicken Roll-Ups

Okay, so my last installment of this feature was a Recipe Fiasco Friday. This time around, I found a recipe (once again via Facebook) easy enough that I nailed it. Yes! (fist pump) It was a huge hit!

There are lots of recipes for Chicken Roll-ups on the Internet (some with cream cheese, some with just milk instead of milk and broth and flour, etc). The one I found was from a link to a Facebook page called Foodgasm. I like the way this turned out. The only thing I might tweak is possibly cutting out the broth to reduce the salt content.

Chicken Roll-Ups

2 large chicken breasts (I simplified this recipe by using fully cooked grilled chicken strips)
1 can crescent rolls
1 - 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1/2 soup can chicken broth (I used a bouillon cube in boiling water)
1/2 soup can milk
1 Tbsp flour
6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Place chicken in pot and cover with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and cook till chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken (save broth). When cooled enough, remove the chicken from bone and shred, set aside [this is the step I skipped by using the fully cooked shredded packaged chicken]. Whisk together soup, broth, milk, flour, salt & pepper. Unroll crescent dough and separate into triangles. Place a little cheese over dough and at larger end, place a good heaping of the chicken. Roll up and place in 9x13 casserole dish. Repeat with remaining triangles. Pour soup mix around each one and drizzle a little over the tops (not too much). Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove and top with more cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes. (soup mixture will thicken up like a gravy).



Talk about easy! Talk about yummy! I served it with steamed broccoli and strawberries. The only problem I encountered? It didn't make enough for the four of us. John and Trevor both wanted more than two crescent rolls apiece. Next time, I'll make a double batch and we'll see how well it warms up the next day. This recipe gets two thumbs up! Easy enough for a kitchen klutz like me. Next, I'll teach Trevor how to make it (he loves learning new things in the kitchen - his father's child).

No comments: