Thursday, February 21, 2019

Book Review: A Girl's Guide to Moving On

When selecting an audio book, I'm usually eager to find something that wouldn't be offensive or shocking should my husband or sons wander into the guest room while I am burning rubber on the treadmill. Although I selected this Debbie Macomber novel, A Girl's Guide to Moving On, considering it a safe bet, it veered into vulgar innuendos and comments from time to time. Perhaps the author was attempting to stay faithful to the dialogue expected from the characters. For whatever reason, there were a few moments when I had to scramble to turn off the cd player, with a wide blush across my cheeks, as my sons heard comments about men being so hot they could burn off a woman's panties. Woah!

When Nicole discovers her husband has gotten another woman pregnant, she divorces him. This bold act, enables Nicole's mother-in-law Leanne to take a similar step after years of infidelity have left her feeling unloved and undesirable. The two women band together to face their new world and to set up rules for moving on after infidelity. Nicole meets the rough-around-the-edges but such-a-good-guy-you-can't-help-love him Rocco. Leanne teaches English classes and encounters a delightful and devoted Ukrainian man named Nikolai.

The story held my interest, despite the thin, stereotypical characters and somewhat raunchy dialogue. Even though the dilemmas were realistic, it still felt a bit too glossy, too picture-perfect. The ending ties up everything nicely. Reconciliations abound. Happiness is just around the bend.

The novel seemed vaguely familiar. I wondered if I had already read this before, but then realized that many of the characters were introduced in Macomber's novel, Last One Home. Indeed, I think much of the story line had played out in that other book. I would have to say this was my least favorite Macomber book.

No comments: