Thursday, April 15, 2021

Book Review: Dear Fahrenheit 451


Dear Dear Fahrenheit 451,

I saw you there across the room (okay, on the library search engine when I looked up Bradbury's book), and immediately felt smitten. You struck me as oh-so-clever and unique. Your style so interesting and appealing. What an original angle to write love letters and break-up notes to books. You can tell my appreciation; after all, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" (wait, am I mediocre to your greatness?? if you know the full quote). You made me feel like we were old friends sitting around gossiping about the books we've known. I played along, even though it seems we don't run in the same circles. 

That voice, so conversational. But, oh my! What a mouth you have on you! Didn't you ever hear that saying, "cursing is the sign of an unimaginative mind?" I cut you some slack because, hey, I wanted to hear what books you loved and what ones you spurned. Besides, it is far easier to skim past vulgarities in a physical book as opposed to an audio book. Alas, the crass profanity should have put me on alert. Was I surprised that your list included er0t1ca?

Still, we had some good times, didn't we? Ah, the laughs at the ancient book on calculator fun. You had me playing right along when you introduced the quiz about celebrity book titles. I felt we bonded over our mutual traumatization from Misery. Plus, we do share that same love for the thesaurus. You sparked my interest in a few of your friends/titles: The Goldfinch, Whatever Makes You Happy, and Amy Falls Down. Heck, I even told my sons about you (sharing the hilarious term "s'mlesses").

But, at the end of the day, I still think I'm leaving you on the library shelves. It's not you; it's me. I just think we're too different. After all, it is like Edmund Wilson said (thanks for sharing his quote with me): "No two persons ever read the same book." I think what you look for in books and what I'm looking for may just be too different to mesh. If I see you again, I'll probably wave, but don't take offense if I turn away to hang with my own friends. At least you won't end up with 1 thumb down (my designation when I wish I could just get back the time invested). You're bound to hook up with someone else who can appreciate you for all you have to give. If nothing else, I'm sure librarians will swoon over you.

Thanks for a few tender moments in the stacks.

Wendy 

No comments: