Monday, February 4, 2008

Big Savings at CVS


O.K., I will have to admit to you that I'm one of those kind of people who used to save receipts from my best saving adventures. For me, there is no greater thrill than heading out into a shop and coming home with more than I should have for less than I should have paid. SCORE! Granted, I do acknowledge, that sometimes it is in fact coming home with "more than I should have" in that we didn't really need what I got a good deal on.


When I first began really exploring the blogosphere, I came across Catherine's site at http://www.chatherinewheels78.blogspot.com and loved reading about her saving adventures. She mentioned Walgreens, which I have utilized for years - getting all kinds of free toiletries and medicines. But she also mentioned CVS, and up until that point I had never stepped in a CVS. Well, in late fall, I received a promo for up to two free $25 gift cards with a new or transferred prescription. It just happened that I had both a new and a transferrable prescription to fill, so I headed off to CVS. At that time, I signed on for their Extra Bucks card, not really sure if I would ever attempt the savings (because it is far more complicated than Walgreens' program).


Well, today, I had to return to refill my prescription and decided to look over the ad. My ES thinks I'm completely "lame" for including this on my blog - but here is what I purchased for a little over $5: One Garnier Fructis 16 oz. shampoo, two 6 oz. Colgate Total toothpaste, one Colgate Motion toothbrush and one 11 oz. Palmolive dishwashing liquid. Thankfully, as my hubby noted, they were all items that we really did need and would have purchased anyway. Furthermore, since I used my $25 gift card, you could even say, it was FREE! You can't beat that!


My only complaint is that with the CVS program you get the money back as an extra buck coupon and it has an expiration date. So I must use the $9.99 extra bucks by March 5th. With Walgreens, the money back is placed on a gift card which doesn't expire. Let's hope CVS has some more good deals on things I need, and soon!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

That was my complaint about CVS too, until I realized that I have no problem using the Extra Bucks in the alotted time frame! There is a weekly post on www.MoneySavingMom.com that will tell you what freebies are available that week at CVS and will often link to coupons. It's been a real blessing to my family to be able to get so many grocery items free with the coupon overage from the weekly deals.

Watch out, CVS is addictive! :)

Anonymous said...

I love when I can announce that I saved more than I spent!! Unfortunately, I don't find the time as often as I'd like to be a smarter shopper. I have tagged the MoneySavingMom in my favorites and will have to check it out. We have a CVS that was built a few years ago that I stop in for quick pick-up items now and then. Keep on shopping!! ~Karin