Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Well Rounded Life

For the last two days I have been practicing the art of babywearing. I suppose this is a good thing since I won't really be able to call the YS a baby for much longer. But it has made me think quite a bit about the blessing of a well-rounded life. If I never experienced days of illness, I would probably take health for granted. Into every life a little fever must come, I suppose.

I had taken both of the little boys in for a lead screening on Monday (now that we are living in my husband's grandmother's house, we're not sure how much lead they might be exposed to). YS was scheduled for his immunizations on the 19th (or I should say re-scheduled because he was sick for the date in January). They both did fairly well for the lead testing (it is just a finger poke) and the nurse at the health department said that she could go ahead and give YS his shots and save me another trip out next week. I thanked her and we went out to wait in the waiting area again.

Several hours after the shots, the poor little guy started to spike a fever. It has been up between 101- 102.7 ever since. Of course, I give him acetaminaphin, but even with the medicine, he is clingy and miserable. He is normally such a happy, independent guy, that these days have felt weird. But, I am counting my blessings. All he has wanted to do is sit in my lap and listen to me sing (yes, he wants to listen to me sing - unlike MS who often says, "Mommy, can you stop singing now?"). What a blessing that is! Who cares that our meals have been easy things like cereal, yogurt covered raisins, bologna & cheese? Who cares that my house looks like a tornado has swept through it? Who cares that my laundry is piling up? I have had the opportunity of holding a sad, sleepy, loving little boy on my lap for hour upon hour.

Plus, I have to chuckle because every time the little one goes down for a nap, my MS decides that he really needs to sit on my lap for a cuddle and a story, too. How observant they are when one is getting the lion's share of the mothering! How fortunate I am to be given days of long, quiet cuddling to round out those many days of constant blur of motion and activity!

No comments: