Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Say "Apox Upon the Pox"

Tonight, my MS has frustrated me again (not that it is his fault, but really couldn't these things have popped out tomorrow night?). He has the chickenpox. Yes, YS just experienced the pox, too, a few weeks ago, after receiving the chickenpox vaccine. He was feverish and wimpery for days, but only had a day or two of a very mild rash.

MS did receive the vaccine when he was a little over a year, so I'm hoping it means he will only have a mild case. However, he already has more spots than the youngest one had. Hence, he will not be able to attend his Parent's Day Out Program tomorrow morning.

Thursday is one of my favorite days of the week. My MS loves to don his backpack and grab his lunch and head to "school." At one point, in discussion with his teacher, she had commented that he really should be bumped up to a higher class (he is in the 2 year old class because his birthday fell in September). I think she was concerned that I might think he was not learning enough. I laughed and explained that, unfortunately my decision to enroll him in the program was more about me than about him. He does need the socialization, but, more importantly, I need four hours each week away from him. The fact that he has so much fun there is just an added bonus.

Oh, how I dread giving up my four quiet hours without him. My YS is usually pretty good to take a morning nap or at least quietly babble in his crib. This is the time when I get the most accomplished at home. And some Thursdays, I just take a nap, too, or read and enjoy the silence. There will be none of that and I feel like whining like a child. Aw, why can't he just go to school anyway. He'll probably be his exuberant self, hardly aware of the rash which is covering his body and which is ... alright, CONTAGIOUS!

The only thoughts saving me at this point are:
  1. Experts suggest having the child soak in a cool to warm bath for a half hour or hour every three hours (and he loves to linger in the bath).
  2. I actually have a haircut and highlights appointment on Saturday afternoon, so I will still get two hours of quiet and pampering this weekend. Thank the Lord.

1 comment:

Guilty Secret said...

Hope you got some quiet time in the end :)