Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Knots Prayer

Lately my life feels like it is totally in knots. I have no idea how to break the stranglehold of discontent and simmering anger towards life. I keep praying for God to break through and change me or help me see clear to change myself.

This may not be the complete answer, but it was a breath of fresh air to my soul today and I feel compelled to share it. I opened the January 22nd copy of The Salvation Army's "War Cry" magazine and discovered this poem:

The Knots Prayer

Dear God:

Please untie the knots that are in my mind,
my heart and my life.
Remove the have nots that I have in my mind.

Erase the will nots, may nots, might nots
that may find a home in my heart.

Release me from the could nots, would nots
and should nots that obstruct my life.

And most of all, dear God,
I ask that you remove from my heart and my life
the "am nots" that I have allowed to hold me back,
especially the thought that I am not good enough.
Amen.

- Author Known to God

It is my prayer that by passing this along, these words have touched someone else as strongly as they touched me.

No comments: