Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: Far From Here


This book had an enticing cover, complete with an endorsement by Jacquelyn Mitchard, author of The Deep End of the Ocean. Once again, though, my reaction to this book differed from the celebrity endorsements. One author claimed she "couldn't put [it] down." I don't know. I just didn't like it as much as they did. I felt that the story kept going on slowly without ever really getting to the point of closure or revelation. Once it reached a pinnacle of an unexpected revelation, then it picked up for me, but it was almost to the end before this happened. I would have liked it to have had more action throughout.

Plus, it was written from two different points-of-view. I found this awkward. I never did really figure out what the purpose was in providing a first person point of view, alternating with a third person point of view. It was done well ... it didn't really trip me up ... but it didn't seem necessary.

In the story, Danica Greene hates flying but is married to a man who lives to take to the skies. When her pilot husband goes missing, she must confront realities in her marriage that she hadn't faced up to before. She endures the not-knowing and tries to move on. What finally propels her to a change in character is the revelation that when he disappeared he wasn't alone.

I don't want to say it was a bad read. I did enjoy it somewhat, but I felt it could have been so much more than it turned out to be. Her books seem to get five stars in reviews on Amazon, so perhaps I will try one of her other books.

No comments: