Friday, April 6, 2012

A Writing Retreat

Since my mother-in-law was scheduled to come visit us during the week of my boys' spring break, my husband urged me to get away for a writing retreat. I googled "Writer's Retreat - Indiana" and discovered an idyllic little location called "Woodland Retreat," in Laurel, Indiana. It was under a two hour drive and provided a wonderful chance to get away to a quiet, peaceful, intensely beautiful location.

I rented the smaller of two cabins. I checked in Tuesday evening and left Thursday morning around noon. In the intervening hours, I took two walks along the trails and worked on a contest submission, a query letter and a novel synopsis. It was almost too quiet (coming from the constant chaos that is my home). I watched a movie, "The Ultimate Gift," on Wednesday night. It was wonderfully relaxing and fairly productive (I had intended to continue my work on my 2009 Nanowrimo novel, but only have it uploaded to e-mail on my laptop and couldn't get a connection).

Here are some photos of my time there:

My cabin



breakfast nook

front porch where I read books

bigger family cabin

owner's house

lake house



blue heron



Here's the dog that walked alongside me during my walk along the trail on the first day.

It was a wonderful getaway and I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: