Thursday, December 6, 2012

Where is December Going?

I woke this morning and realized that I haven't posted anything since November and it is already December 6th!  This month is flying past me.  I am trying my best to get into the mood of things.  I've been playing Christmas music in the car and in the house.  The boys don't care for it and usually tell me to turn it off.

Thanks to a new system of drawing names, I don't have the overwhelming task of shopping for 18 nieces and nephews (now I only shop for the 3 who exchanged names with my boys, on my side of the family, and the three nieces and nephews under 18 on my husband's side).  I think I went a little bit overboard on my exchange gifts (perhaps spending more than I usually would, since it was such a smaller amount than buying for 15).  I used to be the cheap aunt.  The aunt who shopped in January during the after-Christmas sales for the following Christmas.  Thus, those nieces and nephews always ended up with last year's big hits.  Sad, I know.  One day, I woke up and decided I didn't want to be that aunt anymore.  It costs more, but I actually feel good about the gift I'm giving because I think they'll like it, not because I made a killing of a savings.

As for my boys, what a conundrum.  None of them really have expressed big desires (well, apart from the typical really big desires for I-Pads, etc.) and they don't need anything.  I would be tempted to get them nothing, but how disappointing would that be.  Then, I went out on Black Friday and purchased something for the two little boys that I am now having second thoughts about.  It was something for them to share and came to $100, but now I'm wanting to take it back to the store and get my money back.  I will have to discuss it with my husband and make a decision soon.

I think they will end up with chintzy little gifts (hey, I'm still not far away from the tendency to go cheap), but I hope to emphasize a different side of the holiday. They seem so excited.  Wish I could catch some of their enthusiasm.  Even the Christmas music is failing to really put me in the mood.

I did manage to get my Christmas cards out early again this year (a first last year).  I was always the person who sent out their cards closer to the new year than to Christmas.  I even had one recipient write to ask me to take her off my list since it seemed I was only sending one after they sent one to me.  Really!  The card I had printed (a first for me, since I usually go the cheap route and use prints) didn't really turn out all that well.  The resolution was a bit fuzzy.  Ugh!

How to inject a special feeling, when I am feeling like Scrooge?  I don't know.  I'm not even reading these days (apart from the two books the boys have been focused on: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel and The Secret of the Fortune Wookie).  I can't seem to get in the mood for anything.

If someone has a good dose of Christmas cheer they can send me, please do.  I've got to pull myself out of these doldrums.

No comments: