Friday, April 22, 2016

Book Review: P.S. Longer Letter Later

I've been in a bit of a reading slump. I simply haven't had any desire to bury my head in a book. Still, I know this occurrence is temporary. This too shall pass.

Thus, I could only rouse myself for a very simple book this time around. P.S. Longer Letter Later is a book co-written by the famous writers Paula Danziger and Ann M. Martin. The book contains a story told in letters between two twelve-year-old girls, Tara and Elizabeth. It is my understanding that Danziger wrote Tara's letters and Martin wrote Elizabeth's. Together they create a world that tests the bonds of friendship and family.

When Tara Starr moves away, her best friend Elizabeth is determined to keep in touch. Thus begins a year-long correspondence between the two girls. Each girl pours out victories and woes to the other. For Tara, life is changing because her parents have become more responsible adults (they had her when they were both teens and haven't always been reliable). While Tara's world becomes more stable, Elizabeth's solid world is crumbling. Her father loses his job, begins to drink more, purchases things they cannot afford, and runs from his responsibilities.

This was a sweet, tender tale of friendship. I'm always a sucker for epistolary novels. I'm eager to begin the sequel (I accidentally checked it out first and then discovered our library didn't have this first book). It will be interesting to have the story move up to a more recent time frame, since the second book is titled Snail Mail No More.

No comments: