Monday, June 20, 2022

Book Review: There and Back

I once dreamed of parasailing off a mountain. Ha! Stark evidence enough that my inner life has shifted over the years! Gone are the days of such outlandish quests. Today, I dream of driving on unfamiliar streets without going into panic mode. But books take you places from the comfort of your armchair. And, when experienced vicariously, you know for sure you will make it "there and back," the goal of every intrepid mountain climber. As Brie Larson observes on the back cover, "Many of us will never risk our lives to see what Jimmy Chin sees, but in these pages, his photography will transport you to the razor's edge, challenging your perceptions of what humans can achieve." So grateful Jimmy Chin accomplished what I would deem impossible.

This coffee table photography book is marvelous! My favorite photos in the book all reflected specific times of day in dual-page spreads. On pages 78-79, I loved the photo of the mountain top set against a deep blue sky background and half-moon shimmering in the distance. On pages 226-227, the starry night above mountain peaks contrasts the bright colors of the tents. A similar nighttime scene captured on 250-251 shows another starry night set against the brilliance of an erupting volcano. Amazing! One photo from the tip of the One World Trade Center is mind-boggling. This book opens eyes to sights you will never see on your own two feet, but can take in, with wonder, from the comfort of your home. I think I'll continue this armchair travel theme!

No comments: