Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce

My mother-in-law came for a five day visit, arriving on New Year's Eve.  She brought along this book and urged me to read it.  So, I did.  I think in the years closer to my Master's degree in British history, I would have been a tad bit more interested.  While it was somewhat interesting, it didn't really hold my attention very well.  Still, it was short and an edifying read.

John Piper's brief biography doesn't really provide a chronological outline of Wilberforce's life.  It focuses on two aspects: his dedication to the fight against slavery and his commitment to a true Christianity rather than a nominal Christianity.  The book goes to great lengths to laud his perseverence in the political fight to end slavery.  I suppose I was hoping for more personal information about his life.  I would have enjoyed a bit more discussion about his relationship with his family and with those around him.  Plus, despite the title, there wasn't much discussion about the Lord's grace in the life of William Wilberforce.

I don't think I would have picked this up for myself, but I was happy to oblige my mother-in-law and give it a read.  I think she feels a kinship to me because of my love of history, but her love of history tends towards political history, while my interests tend to lie in cultural history.  In fact, while she was here, John and I went to see the movie, "Lincoln."  I felt the same way about the movie as I did about this book.  I grew tired of the political emphasis and wanted more treatment of the fascinating aspects of the life of a great man.  While others raved about the movie, I think I would have preferred seeing "Les Miserables."  Ah well, the first book and movie of the new year are behind me.  May 2013 provide even better books and movies!

No comments: