Thursday, January 17, 2013

Book Review: The Double Bind

I'm always on the look-out for a really great read, so when I notice lots of people talking about a particular book, I jot down the title and make plans to pick it up.  Somehow, this one by Chris Bohjalian kept getting pushed down on my lists.  I have been meaning to read it for over a year.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  It was certainly a book that was hard to put down.  It was immensely readable and the characters were interesting.  I guess it just wasn't as stunning as I had anticipated.

Laurel Estabrook is still recovering from an incident many years in the past when she was attacked while riding her bicycle on a secluded Vermont road.  She has tried to put it behind her, but finds details coming back up as she is presented with a photograph collection belonging to a recently deceased homeless shelter man, Bobbie Crocker.  It turns out Bobbie Crocker was a quite successful photographer and has a collection of photos of famous places and people.  He was obsessed with the photos and thought that someone was determined to take them from him.  Laurel becomes equally obsessed with the photos as she goes about restoring the images in an effort to display them for the homeless shelter's benefit.

There were unexpected twists and turns in the tale.  It was easy to get sucked into the story line.  But, I found myself wondering, throughout, what parts were supposed to be true and what parts were supposed to be fabrication.  Of course, with the ending, those questions were answered.  Although it was a very good novel, I don't think I'll label it as one of my favorites at the end of the year.  I suppose I feel like I'm no better off for having read it.  It didn't really edify me in any way and provided no redemption in the telling.

No comments: