Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book Review: The Last Summer (of You & Me)

I think it has been almost a decade since I read Ann Brashares' The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  I really enjoyed that book, so I decided to give one of her adult novels a try.  While I wasn't disappointed - it was a good read - it didn't fulfill me quite so much as her young adult novel did.

In The Last Summer (of You & Me), we encounter a love triangle.  Riley has always been best-friends with Paul, and her younger sister, Alice, has always felt an attraction to Paul.  The three have grown up spending summers on Fire Island, in neighboring beach houses in the town of Waterby.  Paul has returned, after a three-year absence, and finds himself equally attracted to the now-grown Alice.  As the three begin another summer adventure, the waters of their relationships will be tested by family loyalty, serious illness and deep secrets.

I did enjoy the book.  It was an engrossing read.  The characters were believable and interesting.  The plot line moved at a steady pace.  It just wasn't as brilliant as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  Plus, with grown-up lives came grown up sex scenes and I could do without most of that.  I think I'll stick with her young adult books and maybe even re-read the Traveling Pants first installment, so that I can tackle the sequel books as well.

No comments: