Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Rain-Rain-Rain Came Down-Down-Down, The Flood Rose Up-Up-Upper

We were finally getting back to normal last night. The electrician had fixed the outlets. The air conditioner was repaired. The new modem (I incorrectly said it was a router in the last post) arrived in the mail and was installed. The little boys were just about ready for bed and I was anxious to log on and catch up.

Alas, another severe storm moved in, so we shut everything down and even unplugged it. Apparently, it rained all night and the tornado sirens went off twice. My husband woke me the first time, but I was so tired I went back to sleep. I think he didn't sleep all night.

This is what I woke to (and my husband said it was a whole foot higher before I woke up):



I tried to pan down to show the window pane and how close the water was to the house. The basement was leaking water and ruined the rug in my husband's workout area, but it wasn't too bad. What amazed me was that, when my ES awoke (at 10 a.m.), he went outside with the camera and took some amazing photos of our creek and backyard (one and the same, this morning) and other areas nearby. His photos will tell the story far better than my shoddy video clip:





The four tree trunks you see are in our backyard. The two on the right are close to the edge of the banks of the creek (and the banks are actually quite steep - I'd say at least three feet). You can just barely see the bridge.



Here is a close-up of the bridge and you can see the shadow lines of how high the water came on the bridge.



This one was taken from the bridge.


This photo is of the other creek which runs closer to the barn.

Having viewed the devastation in other areas around Indianapolis, during the evening news, I am certainly grateful that we still have a home. The storms continue to ravage this area. We even had more tonight, but they passed south of us. It was supposed to rain all day today. We were blessed with sunshine, which helped dry things up and by afternoon, the creek was back to the edge of the banks. It continues to flow rapidly, but doesn't feel as threatening.

And now we know what happened to the logs of our bonfire. Friday night's storm probably flooded the banks just as significantly. The sturdy logs were carried by water downstream (the opposite direction of the wind that evening), which is why ES found some of the logs under the bridge on Saturday. So, Bigfoot, you are off the hook, for now!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Wendy you guys are really under the gun, I am praying for some good weather for you fast!

Lucy said...

Man, nature can sure be scary and cruel. I'm glad you are all o.k. and hope things dry out soon!

Wendy Hill said...

Sarah - yes, it was like you said recently on your blog - the storm chasers think storms are incredible and awesome to watch, until it is you and you are watching something approaching your home!

Lucy - We feel very fortunate. My husband has spoken to several others who had electrical difficulties from the storm (one lost all his televisions and his garage door wouldn't open). Our neighbors were away during this last storm but mentioned that someone blew up their mailbox with a cherry bomb. Now, I'm wondering if their mailbox was hit by the lightening as well.

Thanks for the well-wishes!