Thursday, June 26, 2008

We Get By With a Little Help from Our Friends

Being still relatively new to this whole blogging thing, I find myself wishing I could jump to light-speed lots of times (now I'm hearing the Power Rangers Light Speed Rescue song in my head - groan). I just discovered something called Blog Indiana. It is a conference scheduled to be held right here in Indianapolis in the middle of August for two days and the price is only $49. My mind immediately tries to wrangle how in the world I could make this opportunity a reality. So many obstacles: CHILD CARE! Actually, though, it is on a Saturday & Sunday, so it would only mean child care for Saturday morning while my husband works.

I know that I could use a little help with my blog. I have so many questions: Do I want to blog just for myself (which has been my primary motivation so far) or to increase readership and possibly make money? Do I want to join other circles, like the Mommy blogs and such? Do I want to know how many people are visiting my site? Or will that information merely send me into spasms of self-doubt?

I'm really grateful to Renee, at Mom to My Special Ks, because she plans to mention my contest on her blog. So far I only have three participants. When I only had two, I thought, "Well, that will really be a bummer for the one who loses. --> sorry to tell you, you are the only one who lost the contest."

Truth is, sometimes I feel like I don't have very many friends these days. I know that is the isolation of motherhood talking (plus moving to this isolated house just as I entered the stage of having two small children at home). I have memories of some truly great friendships, but lots of those friendships are gone and I doubt those people even consider me a friend anymore. My husband could write a whole blog post himself on my difficulty with letting go of friendships. Long after a friendship has died, I am still pining away. He tells me to just let it go, but I never seem to be able to.

Thankfully, my ES has so many friends that he seldom experiences a dull moment. In fact, my husband recently changed his cell phone plan because all his friends were taking up his minutes by sending him so many text messages. We really only bought the phone so that he could contact us when he is needing to be picked up from school or from a friend's house. We had lengthy conversations about why it is just WRONG to sit in someone's driveway and call them on your cell phone to tell them that you are there.

Still, I am grateful for his experiences with friends. He went to a friend's house on Tuesday afternoon with plans to spend the night. By Wednesday afternoon, I finally tried to call his cell phone to see if he ever planned to return to live with us. I heard it ringing in his room. Drats! But, a short while later he strolled in with a big grin on his face and an old guitar in his hands. His friend had purchased a new guitar that day and decided to just give his old one to my son!



Now, I had asked ES if he would like a guitar for his birthday. NO. I had asked if he would be interested in taking guitar lessons. NO. I had suggested that guitar or piano might be a good thing to pair with his percussion study. NO THANKS.

But, within an hour of being home with his new/old guitar, he had already tuned the four strings (it is missing two, he informed me) to the appropriate pitches so that he could play snippets from one of the songs from his Guitar Hero game. I think we should get these strings replaced and get the boy some lessons. Lessons? I guess that sounds too much like school or work.

Both my husband and I took music lessons while growing up. My husband has a master's degree in trumpet performance from Indiana University. You can tell his lessons really paid off. My lessons, on the other hand, were always free - the help from friends.

When I was in elementary school, an elderly man and a friend of my parents (or perhaps he was just a Salvation Army board member with a good heart - no, wait a minute, I take the good heart part back) gave me and my older brothers piano lessons. Unfortunately, we only lasted three lessons. (Here's why I took the good heart part back!) The gentleman died of a heart attack three weeks in. We tried hard not to consider it a reflection on the challenge of training us.

When I was in high school, I became obsessed with my instrument. I played an E-flat Alto horn in several Salvation Army bands, including my beloved Northern Illinois Youth Band. I also attended an annual music camp called Central Music Institute and I was determined to make it into the top band - the Wonderland Band. So, I began practicing five and six hours a day. My brothers called me "Metallic Lips."

My devotion caught the eye of the principal cornetist with The Salvation Army's Chicago Staff Band, Peggy Paton Thomas. She offered to give me private lessons for free. She was a fabulous instructor and I worked very hard for her. Boy, if I could bring back those days and relive them again. I deeply miss being involved in the banding and playing my instrument. I often pop onto e-bay to see if there are any E-flat Altos listed which I could afford (I really can't afford any since I have no time to play one and no band in which to perform). I certainly hope that my son is able to grasp a tenth of the opportunities I had in the realm of music.

I feel sad and a bit guilty that I didn't go on to make something of all those lessons. Does Peggy regret investing her time in me? When I married and left The Salvation Army, an officer raked me over the coals for all of the investments the Army had made in me. I found this offensive. My question to him was, "Did the Army invest merely for the Army or for God?" My opinion, then and now, is that if it was an investment for God, then God will certainly see that those investments produce the desired return!

To all those friends who helped me to get by, in various ways, musically and otherwise, I just want to repeat something my MS said to me at the dinner table tonight (get ready, he's such a card!) when I informed him that he could have dessert:

He looked at me and said, "I don't know what to say. Thanks!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ask: "Does Peggy regret investing her time in me?" I truly believe she does not at all.

She sounds like a person who wanted to spend time with you for the sake of spending time. I would guess that she enjoyed the excitement you expressed in receiving lessons from her, and enjoyed the rapport you two built with each other.

She does not sound like the type of person who does something simply for the end result.

I'm certain she has fond memories of you and the time you spent together, Wendy.

Anonymous said...

Wendy,

One of my favorite parts of helping organize this conference is all the great bloggers we are discovering through the process.

For someone fairly new to blogging, I think the conference is going to be an amazing and highly beneficial time. We've put a lot of energy into making sure every level of blogger gets a lot out of it. Plus, I don't think there has been a local blogging event that will get over 200 local bloggers into the same place at once. :) That alone should be fun and interesting!

Hope you are able to make it! Please, let me know if you have any questions. I may not be able to help with childcare, but let me know if I can help with any of the other obstacles you may have.

~Noah
Blog Indiana 2008
noah (at) blogindiana (dot) com

Anonymous said...

Was that a horn? (I got confused by the alto bit and google didnt help!) I played flute in the school orchestra and had to sit in front of a euphonium and a french horn.

I taught myself guitar now and am now teaching myself bass.

Wendy Hill said...

CG - Yes, I do hope that Peggy enjoyed my enthusiasm. It was INTENSE back then. I suppose my doubts come more from internal messages than external. I've been feeling that old, "Am I really doing enough with my life? Is this all I'm supposed to be focusing on?"

Noah - Thanks for encouraging me. I certainly would love to come to the conference and did mention it to one other IN blogger I know, but we'll have to see if it pans out.

God's Rock Angel - Thanks for visiting my site. It is an E-flat alto horn (very similar to a French Horn). It is a British instrument used in brass banding (thus, The Salvation Army uses it here in the States). It looks like a baritone, but has a more mellow sound (think melophone or flugel horn). I must blog more about this - after all, it was my PASSION for years!

BBBGirl said...

I'm thankful for cyberspace which allows us to revive our (old) friendship in spite of the distance.

Our family also loves music (though we never had the talent or drive to major in it). DH plays guitar in church (and grew up playing viola), ES plays alto sax and just spent a week at jazz camp, and the younger two play piano. I also "studied" piano for 10 years but barely play anymore these days (no time or motivation) and enjoy singing for choir and vocal team.

Lucy said...

Ah, Wendy, I know the dilemna of blog motivation. It has caused me more angst than any hobby should, and I don't think there is a right answer. But, everytime I decide to give it up, I read some of my older posts and I'm so glad I have them. So...that's why I post. So I can go back and read them! Although, I have to admit that in the present, it's poor motivation. Readers and feedback seem to be the most motivating to me and when I don't feel like I've got them, I falter. Such a sad little story for my ego.

I don't think we should ever regret past talents, even if we have let them lapse. T every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven...right?