Saturday, March 13, 2010

Book Review: The Case of Madeleine Smith


When I was in high school, I read Charles Dickens' Great Expectations and declared it my favorite book. Indeed, I began to be consumed with all things Dickens. I read biographies. I read other novels. I wrote papers on Dickens. I collected Dickens books.

When I went to college, I took Victorian literature and history courses. I wrote more papers on Dickens. While studying with the Wheaton-in-England group, I managed to finagle an independent study with Dr. Joseph McClatchy. I researched locations associated with Dickens and wrote up a student study guide to accompany further travels for the Wheaton-in-England groups (wonder if they were ever used, though I don't really care, since they were such fun to put together).

I also pursued a master's degree in history focusing on ... you guessed it, Victorian British history. During that period of study, I wrote a paper on five Victorian murder cases. It was fascinating.

Thus, when I ran across this little graphic true crime novel in the library book sale yesterday, for only a quarter, I had to purchase it. It was a delightful read. The graphics and words all remained faithful to the feel of Victorian history.

The Case of Madeleine Smith, by Rick Geary, tells the story of a young girl born into an upper class family in Glasgow, Scotland. I delighted in noting that she was sent off for her finishing school experience to Gorton's Academy for Young Ladies in London (Gorton is my maiden name). When she returned home she ended up meeting a young man, Emile L'Anglier, through an off-hand introduction by a mutual friend. This turned into a secret affair, maintained primarily through correspondence. Eventually, Madeleine Smith is brought to trial for the murder of Emile L'Anglier, with her own correspondence thrown into public light and used against her.

Since this book belongs to a series called "A Treasury of Victorian Murder," I will have to see if I can access any other volumes. Who knows perhaps this little dip back into the waters of Victorian history (something I haven't really pursued in years) will inspire me to read Dickens again. With all those Dickens books on my shelf, it does seem a shame that I haven't read any of his works in a good, long time. Ah, those Victorians - such interesting people in an interesting time!

2 comments:

Elizabeth A. said...

I truly enjoy reading, but I'm not a huge fan of what I read in Literature class. I was extremely disappointed and a bit creeped out by Great Expectations. I just don't get Dickens, but I do understand getting totally absorbed in the words and situations. I love finding a book I can read for hours and hours.

Kendra said...

Hi Wendy,
I am Kendra - you commented on my blog earlier this month.....sorry I just saw it. You asked about the construction cake - no, I didn't make it. I wish I had that talent. I found it at a bakery near us. The tractors are from Target. The cone candles I found online.... birthdayinabox.com, I believe.
Love your blog and love the new books I am finding thru you!