Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Book Review: The Magician's Elephant


I am a tremendous fan of Kate DiCamillo. I have five wonderful memories of journeys taken with her books. Indeed all of her novels are tales of journeys and adventures.

After I finished reading her first book, Because of Winn Dixie, I discovered the book in audio form at our library back in IL and listened to the whole thing, enraptured, on the way to our CBLI encampment one summer with ES. (If you are anticipating a long car ride with kids for spring break or summer vacation, audio books make such an excellent choice because you and your children will forever remember the time and place you experienced the book coming alive.)

Next, I read The Tiger Rising aloud to my son before bed. I know he was quite young and perhaps the book was intended for an older audience, but he was fascinated. The idea of discovering a live tiger caged in the woods is so appealing to a boy.

Moreover, I will never forget the thrill of listening to Ms. McKee, a third grade teacher I worked with at my son's school, provide daily doses of "Despereaux." The minute the word was off her lips, the students would scurry eagerly to the carpet, anxious to hear another installment of a truly breathtaking story of adventure and redemption. It may have even played a role in my requesting Ms. McKee as my own son's teacher the following year - because I was hopeful that he would experience the same wonder and excitement.

Sadly, somehow his class never finished the book (evidence that the dynamics of different student groups can vary tremendously). But, during spring break of the following year, we embarked on our 8 hour round trip to bring a shipment of belongings to this house. As we drove, we listened to The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Once again, it was magical to share the experience during that long car ride.

My little boys were the ones who fell in love with DiCamillo's Mercy Watson books. I wasn't drawn in at first, despite the beautiful, bold illustrations. However, once again, when we discovered an audio version of three Mercy Watson tales, I became hooked and my sons (all three) began to express a love for "toast, with a great deal of butter."

Thus, I was thrilled when I recently discovered The Magician's Elephant was available at our library. Unfortunately, it is my least favorite DiCamillo novel. Having said that, though, I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch Ms. McKee read this story to a group of third graders.

The illustrations are beautiful and the tale reads like a fairy tale. The story follows young Peter Augustus Duchene, an orphan in the city of Baltese, who is training to become a soldier. His crusty old guardian, an old soldier named Vilna Lutz, is doing his best to encourage the boy to seek out experiences which will harden and toughen him.

However, Peter, in a moment of passionate hope, throws away their money for bread in exchange for advice from a fortuneteller who has set up a tent in the market square. His driving quest is to discover if his sister still lives and how he can find her. The fortuneteller provides a seemingly impossible answer, "An elephant will lead you there!"

Although it wasn't my favorite book by this outstanding author, I have already prepared the questions I will use when I prime my younger sons for the experience of listening to this book (even if an audio is available, I will want to read this aloud to them because of the wonderful illustrations). I will ask them, "What if you discovered that you had once held a baby sister? What would you be willing to do to find her? Would you love a sister as much or more than you love your brothers?"

Now, I just have to remember to review this review in about three year's time. Who knows, maybe they will enjoy this particular journey more than I did. Maybe the timing, the questions, and the story will propel them into an experience similar to what the students of Ms. McKee's third grade classroom enjoyed back in 2003. After all, I do believe in the magic of books!

No comments: