Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book Review: The Undomestic Goddess


My mother suggested Sophie Kinsella's books to me several years back, when she was thoroughly enjoying Shopaholic and Sister. Of course, my immediate reaction was that her suggestion had something to do with the dichotomous natures of her own two daughters (my sister being the "shopaholic," of course, and myself being merely a "sister"). Then, I found the first book available on CD from the library, and I have been basking in the same love for Sophie Kinsella, ever since. (I especially love listening to her books, because they are read with the British accent and I can't duplicate that sufficiently in my own mind, when I read her books).

This is, indeed, the first Sophie Kinsella book that I have read "on my own" (without the British narration). It turned out to be a light-hearted romp of a read. I devoured the book in a few days' time.

The Undomestic Goddess, tells the story of Samantha Sweeting, a frazzled, up-and-coming lawyer, who is awaiting word on whether or not she has been promoted to partner in her firm. Somehow, on the very day she receives this coveted honor, she discovers that she has made a gigantic error, a 50 million pound error. In disbelief and shock, Samantha walks out of her office, boards a train and finds herself wandering the English country-side.

She approaches a stately home, intending to ask for a glass of water and the use of a phone, but is quickly mistaken for an interviewee for their housekeeper position. She accepts the position, despite the fact that she can't cook, sew or even figure out how to turn on her own oven. She figures, she's tired, she needs a night to sleep on this quandary and she can always come clean with her employers in the morning.

Somehow, coming clean takes Samantha longer than she expected. and she learns quite a bit during her hilarious term in a job she is completely unqualified for. The handsome gardener is intrigued with her plight, when he finds her knee-deep in scorched chick-peas. Despite her lack of qualifications for the job, Samantha learns quite a bit during her hilarious term as a domestic.

This was a delightful little read. I still think I enjoyed the Shopaholic books a bit more, but if you are looking for some fine chick lit, you can never go wrong with a Sophie Kinsella book. Plus, I discovered that a movie adaptation for this one is in the works. Who knows maybe I'll find a girlfriend to head to the theaters with, in time for the picture's release.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey! I reviewed this one a while back. It's one of my faves. I was never a chick-lit girl, but I make an exception for Kinsella.

Here's hoping they don't mess up the Undomestic Goddess like they did Shopaholic when they movie-tize it. For starters, removing it to NYC and making the girl American took away a lot of the humor.

Wendy Hill said...

Wendy - I haven't even been able to bring myself to see the movie version of Shopaholic for those very reasons. My mom saw it and said it was better than expected (she shared my low expectations). I am anxious to see who they cast in the primary roles.