Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Book Review: Mercy on These Teenage Chimps


I'm always on the lookout for books for boys, in the hopes that I can force entice my teenage son into reading. Thus, when I found myself in a darkened library, wandering the young adult section, looking for an elusive book on CD, I noticed this cover and quickly ascertained that it is meant for boys. It seemed like the author's name looked familiar, but I never did place where I might have seen it before.

Mercy on These Teenage Chimps, follows two boys, Joey and Ronnie, who have recently hit that magical thirteenth birthday, launching them into their teenage years and into the awkward likeness of a chimp (long arms, hairy bodies, unpleasant smells, and attention-seeking behaviors). Their behavior has earned them detention (how ironic, since my ES's 13 year old behavior earned him a detention for talking this week). The coach decides to waive their detention in exchange for their help with a banquet he is hosting.

At the banquet, Joey lays eyes on "the love of his life" and, in his smitten state, climbs the rafters attempting to retrieve her balloon. In front of the girl and many others, the coach berates Joey and calls him a "monkey." Joey is so mortified by this development that he climbs a tree in his yard and refuses to come down.

Ronnie takes it upon himself to right this wrong, seeking out both the coach (for an apology) and the girl (to make a "love connection"). As he pursues this justice, his own path wends and winds. Both Joey and Ronnie discover that the state they are in isn't terminal and that pretty much every other guy is in the same predicament.

I doubt my teenage son would take the time to read this book on his own (although I may require it as light reading over spring break, since it is only 12 chapters and 147 pages long). It is a tad bit hokey. I mean, I highly doubt a 13 year old boy is going to feel wounded when labeled a monkey by a coach, let alone climb a tree and refuse to come down for days. I was also skeptical that a 13 year old boy would be caught dead riding his trike (I'm assuming that means tricycle, not Big-Wheel) to get to church on time. However, it did give me good ammunition for the war that is church attendance: if I can find a church where really attractive teenage girls attend, the struggle might evaporate.

Still, for boys who enjoy reading, this could be a good choice. There really aren't enough entertaining books out there for boys and I was pleased that this one didn't really stoop to potty humor in order to appeal to boys. It was generally funny without references to butts and the sounds that come from them. Plus, it does have a valid message for boys on the cusp of their teenage years. There will indeed be lots of changes for their bodies and minds and they may feel like they should just be put away in a zoo, but life will work out in the end, even after many crooked roads.

No comments: