Friday, April 2, 2010

Choose Your Own Adventure Gone Awry

Choose Your Own Adventure Gone Awry

My little brother loved those books -
those choose-your-own-adventure books -
the ones where at the end of each page
your choice determines the path your story will take.

I keep looking at my story
and wondering where it is headed now.
I'm just not fully content
with where my choices have led.

If it were just a book,
I'd flip to the beginning and start over.
A second chance at a better adventure.
No need to pack bags. It's just a few pages away.

But this is a life story -
NOT a choose-your-own-adventure gone awry.
Yes, my choices determined the path,
but, somehow, so did God, the author.

So that's it.
I'm not the reader, I'm the character.
Patiently, or NOT, waiting to see where the author is taking me.
My contentment with this story doesn't seem to be His goal.

I want to critique the pace, the antagonists, the blasted conflicts.
I want to take the pen. Write my own scenes.
I want more color, more location.
I want a happy ... no, not an ending ... not yet.

It's Good Friday.
"How can it be good when something so bad happened on this day?"
I ask this question to my sons.
And now I'm asking ...
Lord, how long 'til Easter morn'?

1 comment:

cardiogirl said...

I hear that, both on where my story is taking me and how such pain and tragedy can have a good outcome.