Monday, April 12, 2010

First Movie

On Saturday, I took MS to see "How to Train Your Dragon." Neither of the little boys have ever been to a movie theater before. It was a marvelous experience for both of us.

When my oldest was little, I didn't bat an eye at taking him to a movie because we had a dollar theater nearby. I may be wrong, but I think the very first movie I took ES to was "Elmo in Grouchland" and he was 3 years old. It was a safe bet, since everyone else was probably toting a tiny tot as well and thus, wouldn't mind the noise when the fidgeting set in. Plus, a $2 waste doesn't kill the pocket!

Here, however, we have no cheap theaters. Indeed, I paid $14.50 for MS and I to see the matinee Dragon movie and an additional $7.50 for MS's popcorn, drink and small candy. But, it was worth every cent for the experience.

It wasn't that the movie was incredibly outstanding - it was enjoyable and good, but not the ultimate kid's movie. It was the sheer joy that we experienced in doing this together. MS felt so special. He loved getting the popcorn and willingly shared some with me. He didn't mind when I suggested we get an ice water for him to drink, since he's never had pop before. I drank the root beer that came with the popcorn and he happily sucked down the water (even wanted to keep the cup - a plain paper one, nothing fancy).

At first, we found ourselves in the wrong movie. Hee-hee. This was fine, too, because it allowed us to see previews we might not have otherwise seen (like the "Oceans" movie, one I'm sure he will beg to see). We had gone to the bathroom, so MS could wash his hands before eating the popcorn. The bathroom we chose was a family one sandwiched between the doors of two different movies. We accidentally entered the Miley Cyrus movie. As soon as I saw her name on the screen for the main feature, I hustled MS out and into the right door.

Unbelievably, MS didn't talk through the whole movie (this was my initial fear). Moreover, he didn't once ask when the movie would end (I think ES was still asking that when he was 8).

It had been so long since I had been in a movie theater that I found myself really enjoying it as well. The big screen. The darkened room. The cozy feel of being with someone you love and experiencing a story for the first time, together. It was an event to remember.

MS has been talking about it ever since. He immediately decided that now that he has seen the movie with his mom, his dad needs to take him back to see it again. Today, in the hall after school he suggested that we go with Evan and his mom to see the movie again.

I'm hoping we can take him to see the "Oceans" movie at the I-Max theater connected to the Indianapolis Children's Museum (if it is showing in I-Max form). Those I-Max movies are especially memorable. (I have often thought back fondly to my last I-Max experience. I was able to see "The Human Body" movie during a school field trip to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It was especially exciting because I was pregnant with MS at the time. My favorite part, besides watching the mother's pregnancy advance, was a scene where they immersed brand new babies in water and the babies swam unassisted.)

Perhaps all of our raving about the wonderful experience motivated my husband. That night, we put the boys to bed and had dinner and a movie ("Artificial Intelligence") at home together. This was the first time (in a long time) hubby managed to stay awake to watch an entire movie with me. It isn't every day I get to have two movie dates with my favorite men. That night, I turned to hubby and exclaimed, "Wow! This really was a most excellent day!"

No comments: