Friday, April 9, 2010

Tree Trimmers

Today, the tree trimmers came to our property. As hubby and I watched them shimmy up trees and cut off branches, I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be asking them if my son could shadow them on the job. Whew - what a risky endeavor!

O.K., so the guy is up in a tree with a chain saw hanging from his side:

No biggie, until you realize just how high

up in that tree the guy really is!

Then he decided that just wasn't high enough. He headed for the next rung of branches:



For perspective, in that last photo you can see his partner, like an ant down below on the ground, holding the ropes he is somehow secured by.

Then, the men came up to the house to share a find with us. They thought our boys would enjoy seeing an oriole nest that had been built in one of the tree limbs they had cut down. It is absolutely fascinating - completely woven out of yarn (did the birds pilfer a sweater from some laundry line???). We plan to take it to the preschool on Monday to share with MS's class.






When I searched "oriole nests" on the computer, I discovered that some people actually put out yarn pieces for the birds to build their nests out of. The birds tend to arrive in early May and can be attracted by putting out fruit nectar or orange slices. It would be fascinating to watch the birds build an intricate nest like this. Maybe I'll have to put out some yarn scraps and a nectar feeder to see if I can attract some orioles this spring.

2 comments:

cardiogirl said...

That nest is so cool! I've never heard of a nest made out of yarn but it makes me want to try the same experiment in May.

Debbie Miller @HooootOwl said...

What a fantastic find! Such a Fascinating nest. Exploring ... and the treasures of spring! Love it.