Thursday, April 8, 2010

They Could Work on a Demolition Crew

My middle school son brought home a form this week regarding an upcoming "Shadow a Job" event. I'm not sure it would be all that helpful for him to shadow my husband in his job, since I doubt, despite ES's strong math skills, it is something he is hoping to one day pursue. We don't know very many people here, but I'm hoping to talk with ES and come up with some other suggestions for him.

I imagine if I asked him what he would like to do, he would offer up something like "being a professional video game player." How is it that teenage boys really seem to believe these kinds of jobs are options? I suppose it is no different than the teenage boy who is convinced he will grow up and be a professional football player. It could happen, but it, generally, is highly unlikely.

I think I know one job that would be perfect for all three of my boys. Indeed, they already excel at it, but nobody's willing to pay them for it, yet. They could all work on a demolition crew. Seriously!

I don't know what the norm is for boys when it comes to destructiveness. I'm sure there are some mothers of boys out there who would say that their sons are always careful and respectful of things. I've met boys who look like they couldn't even hurt a flea, let alone break an item of great value. None of those boys look (or act) a thing like my boys.

My boys are hard-core and hard on our wallet. They play hard. They take risks. They invent unlikely purposes for ordinary everyday objects.

Thus, on a daily basis, in our home, we discover items that have been broken. The most recent list would run the gamut from ceramic teapot lamp above our computer (a wedding gift, no less), several small plastic Easter eggs (who knew the sound they make when crunched under shoes could be so exciting?), the pedal to the brand new Rock Band set for X-box 360 (purchased 2/13), the Rock Band game (purchased used at Game Stop on 2/13), a Spiderman plastic racket, and a pair of glasses (thankfully, old ones).

Today, I was sitting all smug and pleased with myself after making up a new chore chart for the two little guys. They had been buzzing around taking care of things so they could draw in a star or a skull (MS's favorite thing to draw - no surprises, there). They had both headed to their room to make their beds. Suddenly, I heard a crash.

MS came out of the room holding several pieces in his hands and saying, "Oh, boy! Look what S----- did!"



This is sort of what the adorable Winnie-the-Pooh train frame looked like before it met with their skills:

Apparently, YS decided that it would be fun to toss MS's coin purse (shhh - don't tell him that) wallet full of change across the room. It knocked the adorable pint-sized Pooh train riders right off the top of the chifferobe.

I had purchased this second hand because of YS's love of trains, but had secretly hoped that it would be still available to sell on E-bay once the boys were bigger (and once hubby figures out how to get that whole ball rolling). The back of the frame identifies it as a piece by Charpente for Disney.


I did find a similar frame on-line, listed for ... $25.00! Not to worry, though, I didn't pay nearly that much (although, it still would have been fun to turn a profit).



Tonight, I super-glued the pieces back together. It looks good as new and has certainly delighted YS for the full value of the money I paid. He would often request to hold it in his crib just before going to sleep. He loved that little frame. Still, he didn't weep any crocodile tears over its demise today.

By the time these boys leave our home, I'll be qualified for a new job, myself. I will be an expert at miscellaneous repairs.

In the meantime, if you know of anyone in the Indy area who makes loads of money playing video games for a living, let me know so we can set ES up for his Job Shadowing Day! Then again, maybe we could link up with the company that imploded the RCA Dome back in December of 2008. After all, ES is a big fan of explosives and fire!

No comments: