Friday, April 16, 2010

More Beauty

We had another fabulous day today! My mother-in-law decided to stay an extra day, so she and my husband spent the morning sorting through old stuff in the attic. It was a good thing they tackled this instead of me, since I'm a keeper. Hard to see family photos and memorabilia go, but no real point in keeping it all.

They also worked hard digging up and removing several bushes on the side of the house. In the afternoon, they went out and purchased some flowers. I haven't had a chance to go out and take photos yet, but am already feeling quite pleased that there will be vibrant colors around the house.

I did file more information away in my brain from my mil's knowledge. Those pink and white flowering trees are not cottonwoods or dogwoods. She said they are "crab-apple" trees. And the purple flowers I have been admiring in so many yards ... are called "creeping phlox."



I also asked her about the bush with blooms that are already falling off. Yes, it is a TOTAL TEASE. The thing blooms briefly and then the wind usually kills off the blooms in short order. It is a Rhododendron. Of course, I've heard the term before, but still my brain sees things in simplistic explanations like "tree," "plant," "bush." I'm hoping my brain retains this new-found knowledge.

I also wanted to share a most exciting announcement. No, I'm not expecting. That would be frightening, not exciting!

My blue heron has returned!!!! On Tuesday morning, we were headed to the dentist when I noticed the heron standing in the creek as we drove over the bridge. We remembered to look when we got home. We tiptoed down to the creek and it was still there. It flew off down the creek and settled on a large fallen tree further down. I wanted to sing; I was so happy that the herons will not be gone for good because of our noisy dog. This place is just an oasis of beauty.

2 comments:

cardiogirl said...

I, too, have heard the Rhododendron's siren song and have almost fallen prey. My neighbor has one and it's a really awesome hot pink.

But if you blink it disappears. I need my plants to produce, jack. For at least three or four weeks.

Wendy Hill said...

CG - I find it strange that I am only now noticing the brevity of spring's blooms. I suppose because I have such negligable success with plants, I have not bothered to notice them before.