Friday, December 30, 2011

Book Review: The Red Suit Diaries


This was another attempt to find an inspiring Christmas read. While the book was somewhat entertaining (interesting tid-bits about what it is like to play a professional Santa), it didn't exactly live up to my aspirations of an inspiring, heart-warming Christmas read.

In The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith, Ed Butchart chronicles his rise to the position of professional Santa. He shares vignettes from his experiences. Mostly he encourages people to seek the spirit of love embodied in Santa and maintain that child-like faith exhibited by so many children during this time of year.

My own sons decided that they were too big to visit Santa and sit on his lap this year. I'm pretty sure that Trevor is on the verge of giving up the idea of Santa. I don't have a problem with him believing in Santa. I don't think it detracts from the real meaning of Christmas (he is aware of the significance of Jesus' birth). And I have enjoyed watching his wonder, but I also won't be crushed when he loses that wonder. Indeed, I'm assuming he will pull his little brother along with him.

For now, we did enjoy taking their letters to Santa at a local library and then receiving back a personally written letter from Santa. Trevor was able to send along a drawing of a shark, which really impressed Santa.

I don't believe I would ever want the job of portraying Santa, nor will I ever be asked, I'm sure. I'll settle for reading the light-hearted anecdotes of one Santa who makes it his business to treat children with kindness and love.

No comments: