Monday, December 5, 2011

Recent Kid Book Favorites

Tomorrow I have to return three books to the library because we've renewed them EIGHT times and have run out of renewal options. This means we've had these books for twenty seven weeks! The thing is, we are really sad to return them. They have been our favorite books during that time. I may just have to run out and buy them now.


The first is Rock, Brock and the Savings Shock. I can't believe how much my boys loved and learned from this book. It is the story of twins Rock and Brock, who are very different. One is tidy and perfect and the other is a total slob. But, the tidy one spends money like water running through a sieve and the other saves like the tiny gremlin character in The Hobbit clings to his ring, calling it "my precious." Gramps offers them a deal. He will pay them $1 every Saturday for mowing his lawn and washing his car. However, if they save the money, he will double whatever they have. My boys began chanting the progression of savings: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512. Trevor's first grade teacher was amazed when she overheard my four year old reciting these numbers. I'm amazed that they clearly understood the principals presented and took them to heart.



The second book, I Always, Always Get My Way, tells of a three year old girl who milks her mother's sympathies for her tender years. The child is a whirling dervish of disaster, spilling orange juice on her father, tramping mud into the home, getting into her siblings' belongings. My boys loved the rhyme and loved watching the main character wreak havoc in her home.


The final book is When Pigasso Met Mootisse. It is obviously the story of the relationship between Picasso and Matisse, but told with the main characters in pig and cow form. This book was udderly delightful (sorry, I couldn't help myself). It is full of clever puns (an art attack, a pork of art, a moosterpiece, etc.). The illustrations are bold and charming. My boys even enjoyed listening to the realistic account of the two artists at the back of the book.

We are sad to see these books go back to the library, but heartily recommend them and feel obligated to let other patrons discover the pure gold within these spines.

No comments: