Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Book Review: Fablehaven


My mother recommended this book (although I don't believe she has read it, just heard good things about it). I searched our library, but couldn't find it. When I asked if I could secure the book through inter-library loan, the librarian said they would merely buy the book and I would be the first person allowed to check it out. I'm very sure the library will not regret this purchase! (Indeed, I couldn't even renew it because someone else had already placed a request for the book.)

Fablehaven, is a fantasy novel by Brandon Mull, which is sure to appeal to both children and adults. It tells the story of Kendra and Seth, two siblings who are sent to visit their grandparents while their parents go on a cruise. The grandparents are very mysterious (in fact, the grandmother is, somehow, missing and the grandfather institutes several strict rules, without explanation). They live on an estate called "Fablehaven," which is actually a sanctuary or preserve for mythical creatures. The children are expecting a boring two weeks (especially when they discover that the house, deep set among woods, offers no television or computer). However, life without technology proves to be exciting, intriguing and dangerous. With a quick moving plot and interesting characters, this story is sure to dazzle and will, no doubt, be made into a movie.

In fact, as I was searching for the cover photo to include with my review, I happened upon this comical You Tube video made by some amateur book-lovers. I will admit, it is probably hard to understand their video if you haven't read the book, but quite hilarious if you have. I did note that they have posted two other videos for the second and third books in this series, but I'll wait to view those since I will definitely be reading the other books (even if I have to purchase the set). The passion these young film-makers display is further evidence of the book's appeal. I would have loved to see something like this from my students when I asked them to interact with literature in a creative way!

There are so many people out there enjoying Brandon Mull's series, that a MySpace group has been formed. For individuals who have neglected the Harry Potter series, Brandon Mull offers a delightful alternative (more like C.S. Lewis' Narnia books). He provides a magical read with worthwhile moral lessons. He presents the juxtaposition of good and evil, without glamorizing evil. How I wish I were still working in Mrs. Brown's classroom, so I could read this to the fifth graders there! It would certainly be a read-aloud the students would anticipate during the day. I highly recommend this book for any parent searching for a good book to read with their children (or listen to on a car trip, since I noticed Amazon offers an audio version of the first book in the series).

4 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Both of my oldest kids have read & loved this book! Plus, it is always out at our library. It's really a great series---glad you could get a copy!!!

Wendy Hill said...

Amy - I love it that I have a librarian reading my blog! I checked on-line and our library doesn't have the second one yet, so I'll have to put in another request.

Amy Sorensen said...

While you're making that request for the second one, you might as well throw in a request for the third---might speed it up! I know that at our library it takes a LONG time to finally get a book on the shelf.

Lucy said...

I'm excited by your review because I've been interested in this book for awhile and have had it on hold for forever. With both you and Amy loving it, I'm just going to buy it. It'll be a good addition to our library, right?