Friday, August 15, 2008

Held Hostage in Facebook Land

O.K. I'm not being held against my will. However, it is amazing how much time I have spent on Facebook in the last three or four days. It all started with one little friend request and then I noticed tons of people from my past whom I could re-connect with. It has been so much fun. Seriously, some of these people (I'm referring to Salvation Army friends from my past) have over 600 friends! It takes me forever to toggle through them all to see if there is another person hiding in the shadows of the Facebook Lounge.

I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Yeah, but they have that whole Friend Finder bit in there." I guess I just never really took the time to use it. I did search for Wheaton people, but that didn't really net many results. Suddenly, I'm finding between five and ten people a day. Wow! My sister even joined and she already has pictures up on her profile!

So to all my new/old friends on Facebook - I'm having the time of my life re-connecting with you. We'll see how many figure out that I have a blog (or care to come by and check it) - hee-hee! Wait a minute. I can't really figure that out unless they comment, since I still haven't bitten the bullet and added a Sitemeter.

I do need to cut back on this, however. YS is still in the throes of lingering croup and is waking quite a bit at night. He has an appointment with a pediatric pulmonologist on Monday. Hope that goes well.

I think I definitely need to read that Max Lucado book, Facing Your Giants, now, because I'm addicted to blogging and Facebook. Every night I promise I'll be in bed before midnight and every night I try to sneak in without waking my husband. It never works! He always says "I thought you were going to try to get to bed earlier!" Busted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to FaceBook. I. Don't. Get. It.

Don't get it. It's just to meet up with old friends? I don't know, I'm not very social these day. And I am starting to feel like I'm 90 and saying, "No good will ever come out of those flyin' machines!" (courtesy of SpongeBob's grandfather in the episode where SB wants to fly with the jelly fish.)

Wendy Hill said...

CG - I guess, for me, it has just been fun to give a quick greeting to so many people from my past. It is kind of like attending a class reunion (only without the pressure of what to wear, talk about, etc).

One of the old friends I found is one I haven't heard from in 12 years. We had kept in contact before that, but she called shortly after my son was born to tell me that her 10 year old son had just passed away. It was very difficult. I was grieving for her, but not really sure how to look her up.

I'm sure my interest in Facebook will wane again and the blog will continue. In some ways, you (whom I've never met) are more of a "friend" than some of those whom I have labelled "friends" on Facebook. Thanks for that!

Unknown said...

LMAO at crreping into bed, that was me too until I returned to full-time work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, I'm just catching up on your past week's blogs. We were in MN and then to SD for an Olsen reunion. We had a great time and I was sad to say good-bye. We'll have to work on getting one organized for the Falk side of the family. ~Karin