Thursday, August 7, 2008

Book Review: The Shack

One book my friend Mary encouraged me to read was The Shack, by William P. Young. It surprised her I hadn't heard of it. Apparently, this is a book many have been discussing. Mary gave me five books to read between Wednesday evening and Sunday afternoon. I read two and skimmed a third. The Shack was the only novel, and it sounded absorbing. 

I was not disappointed, but thrilled. It was indeed a riveting read! I must recommend it to anyone who is struggling with acceptance of God's plan or with many questions for God. Of course, the book of Job would be the primary place to start, but I've read Job many times, and this was a modern take on similar themes. 

I am equally surprised that Mary sensed I needed to read this book. She had only finished a few chapters prior to lending it. A cover blurb suggests that this book will be for our generation what Pilgrim's Progress was to its generation. It is truly a great story illustrating issues that many Christians and non-Christians struggle with. What a rare find, to discover a book with a powerfully moving story accompanied by significant philosophical and theological fodder to chew on! 

The narrator, Willie, begins by explaining that he is telling the story of his friend Mack. Mack and his wife, Nan, have five children. When tragedy occurs for their youngest daughter, Missy, it hurtles Mack into a "Great Sadness." Until one day, Mack receives an invitation from "Papa," (his wife's name for God) to meet him at the same shack where they found criminal evidence. What happens when Mack returns to the shack is life changing for Mack, for Willie and for the reader of this book. I wanted to copy bits that resonated with me. 

I could entirely relate to Mack. His description could well be mine. "The tragedy had also increased the rift in Mack's own relationship with God, but he ignored the growing sense of separation. Instead, he tried to embrace a stoic, unfeeling faith." Some circumstances in my life (and the life of my immediate family) have led to a sense of distance from God, despite my attempts to cling to what my head and heart have always firmly believed to be true about God. I have longed to regain my former level of trust, but have struggled with feelings of abandonment. In the novel, Mack comes to this same place and is told "You cannot produce trust.... It either is or is not. Trust is the fruit of a relationship in which you know you are loved." 

Mack's journey, despite requiring lots of "willful suspension of disbelief," ministered to my weary soul. It caused me to step back from my pain and gain a glimpse of the God I could not see. The discussion of how we subjectively decide what is good and what is evil reminded me of the importance of trusting God's discernment of what is good rather than my own. If taken as a "Pilgrim's Progress" type of story, this book gives great food for thought. The main character traverses through a valley, lives in a shadow, and returns to recognize the true light behind the shadows. 

I guess the main theme I came away with was that God is in control and I'm not, and that's a good thing because my view is very limited and quite subjective. Sometimes evil, wicked things happen, even to those who call themselves Christians, and God knows the full score. He weeps with us. He loves us deeply and desires for us to relinquish the independence and self-sufficiency to which we so often cling. 

Having said that, I have now read some negative reviews of this book. The naysayers point to heresy in the trinity's presentation. They allege the book denies the importance of human sin and guilt and fails to recognize God's authority. I would agree that some of the theological issues presented in the book did not strike me as biblical; however, I wasn't looking to the novel to be a biblical presentation of God. 

I don't believe I came away from this book feeling that sin is no longer an issue. I'm sure that the evil which infiltrated my family, as well as the evil which claimed Mack's little girl, began with the root of sin, many times rippled forward into the beast which makes this world a mess and reminds us to long for heaven. I don't think I opened the book hoping to be instructed on what the trinity really looks like (again, God has that under control, too!) I was uncomfortable with two of the trinity presentations, but understood the author's motive for presenting them in that light. 

What ministered to my soul was the realization that God doesn't want my focus to shift from Him to my circumstances! Like Peter attempting to walk on the water, I often allow my eyes to dwell on the tumult and waves rather than on the One who walks above the waves and offers to hold my hand as I traverse above the storm. While at camp, a friend asked what I was reading. Upon mentioning The Shack, she said her instructor had just mentioned this book and urged her students to read it. I caught up with this instructor later in the week and shared my impressions of the book. She intended to read it again. The story line absorbed her during her first reading. Next time, she will focus more on the issues the book presents and grapples with. I have to say; I plan to re-read this book as well. Thankfully, Mary realized she had a second copy of the book (gifted by her father-in-law), so she offered to let me keep her copy. It is not The Bible, the ultimate authority, but it is a powerful book worthy of several good readings!

3 comments:

Kori said...

Wendy! I am loving your blog and only wishing I was able to get to know you better before you moved! You inspire me to read more and write more and to perhaps "isolate" myself a little more from the craziness of my life to be able to read more and write more! I also loved your jib jab post and tried to do it with my kids, but it kept freezing up on me and I got frustrated so I will have to try again sometime soon! Also checked out the BritGalUSA blog and had several good laughs! She seems like quite a character! Have a great weekend!

JoHannah said...

Hi Wendy - I thought you provided a good, balanced perspective on this book. I haven't read it yet, but it is a big topic at work and has created lots of discussion. I agree with you that it's not a theology book, but a broad sweep of how we think about our relationship with God. I would have had you write an aritcle on this for our site if I'd read it earlier! We are introducing a discussion guide on the book Aug. 21.

Wendy Hill said...

Kori - So glad to hear you are enjoying my blog. Your comment reminded me to appreciate the isolation and extra time in my schedule.

Yes, Jib Jab can be tempermental. ES keeps trying to make one with his brothers' faces. Just as well, he hasn't succeeded, since most of the time he puts their faces on female bodies!

JoHannah - First, I wasn't even aware of the book. Then, I had no idea of all the controversy. Let me know what you think, if you do read it.

Sometimes I go back to my blog and worry that what I write will be misinterpreted. I think I made it sound like Dr. Green was implying there should be mutual dependence in our relationship with God. Obviously, not the case, but sometimes my writing isn't clear enough. Practice makes perfect. Besides, I'm still writing just because I enjoy doing it!