Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Medical News

I ended up needing to take my YS in to the doctor again this morning. He had a very rough night (oh, why did I stay up so late blogging???). His chest wasn't heaving and the cough didn't sound like a seal, so I wondered if it had turned into pneumonia. Apparently not.

The doctor said that it is still croup he is coping with. He suggested that sometimes the oral steroids aren't effective enough. It seems like each time YS comes down with croup, it gets harder for him to get over it. The doctor administered a shot in the office and asked me to use our nebulizer (I thought the ER doctor had said that albuterol doesn't really treat croup very well, since the constriction is in the tracheal area, not lower down - but WHAT DO I KNOW, REALLY!)

We have now been referred to a pediatric pulmonologist. We shall see what that brings. My husband is worried (especially since YS will be going to Parent's Day Out one morning a week now) that with every virus, it will turn into croup and require a trip to the ER. Time will tell. YS is still highly irritable and clingy and doesn't rest well.

I did also receive information about the skin biopsy which the dermatologist did on a section of my thumb a few weeks back. He diagnosed it as "granuloma annulare." It seems I am just one big skin condition after another. Thankfully, the over-all itching is abating. I'm hoping to spend a bit of time doing more internet research on all of this once the little boys are gone for a whole morning one day a week (hopefully, I won't waste that precious time ... showering alone, going to the bathroom alone, shopping alone, staring into space while ALONE).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not to scare you, but, the children's memorial pediatrician let me know (also the ambulance nurse/doc) since chloe had this terrible a scare (75% oxygen) it will happen every time she gets croup--i've got my epi pen all set for that middle of the night emergency--do you have yours!!?? BTW, they said the albuterol thing to us as well--there is conflicting papers on this method--i decided i just need my child breathing and lips not turning blue! Oh, and by the way, did you know that only 3 out of every 100 children get croup this severe? where's our 3rd child out there!