Saturday, August 9, 2008

CBLI Re-cap

A few weeks ago, I was busy highlighting all the things I love about CBLI. I painted such a beautiful picture that several readers wanted to go, too. However, in all honesty, I must admit that not all years are picture perfect! I can remember several bummers associated with CBLI.

For instance, the first year we went, ES woke up the second morning with pink-eye. By the middle of the week, that was under control and hubby was supposed to meet us at Great America, so that we could all spend the day together. While waiting for his arrival, ES (then 3) kept asking me for a jacket because he was cold (despite the 90 temperatures). Fearing ear infections, my husband took him back to DeKalb to see the Dr. and I was supposed to drive home to pick him up and return to camp. However, in the next town over from the camp, I ended up in a car accident and totalled my car. My sister-in-law, headed with several other ladies to do laundry, drove by and stopped because she recognized me [she was the only gawker I welcomed, Cardiogirl ;-)].

The second year went well until the day after Great America. ES and I were in one of the cheaper housing options (a small room with two twin beds and shared bathroom facilities). He spent two days throwing up. He was only 4. We were trapped in a small room. I couldn't leave him to go to the dining hall, so I subsisted on snacks until I finally managed to catch a neighboring camper who agreed to go pick up a meal tray for me. When we finally emerged on Saturday, I was surprised that no-one had bothered to check on us (especially my brother). Then my brother jumped all over me, assuming that I would bring ES back to class before he had passed 24 hours without a fever or illness. I had not intended to, and I guess being worn out (which I'm sure my brother was as well, since the workers who run the children's programming really devote many hours each day to those responsibilities - and my brother's programs were among some of the best children's programming there!), my temper flared. I ended up packing up and leaving then and there (and made quite a scene, which I now powerfully regret).

The year that I was 7 months pregnant with my MS, I trudged with arm-loads of luggage to the door of our cabin, only to discover upon entry that someone else's belongings were already inside. I had to load the stuff back into my vehicle, drive back to the office and explain my dilemma. It turned out that another family, who had been intending to stay - for the cheapest rate - in their trailer, required a room because their trailer broke down. The administrators gave them the key to the room on the other side of mine. Apparently, the family opened the door between the two and believed that they had been given a suite. Instead of informing this family of the error, I was simply moved to another room. In a cabin. at the top. of the very. highest. hill. on the entire. campgrounds!

So, you see, not all CBLI years are equal. But, we do still come away feeling thankful that we had a chance to attend. Now, why do I preface my re-cap with these remarks? I'm sure you have guessed; it was not our best year ever!

To sum it up, the drawbacks resulted from three things: changes, challenges and criticism. There were so many changes this year: new directors; a new cook; new policies in the dining hall; a change in the class schedule; and failure to effectively communicate these changes at the outset. I'm not sure why there was a new cook, but boy, do we miss the old one! Don was warm and welcoming and bent over backwards to be helpful.

In the past, families with small children were allowed to cut to the front of the line. This was absolutely necessary. But, of course, you can't understand this as a necessity until you have stood in a dining hall line with five-or-six hundred other campers, listening to your two hungry, irritable toddlers bellow.

This also affects the seats we were able to secure. The tables are long and narrow, so we always have to look for an end (to accommodate a high chair). This year, there were many times when we finally got through the line only to discover no high chairs available and no end spots. At one point, I saw an empty table set off next to the drink machine, so I pulled two chairs over and pushed the double stroller up for YS. The cook chastened me and said they really couldn't have us sitting there.

Other changes in the dining hall posed different problems. They no longer offered the screen with an indication of what the next meal would be. The salad bar no longer offered fruit, soup or crackers (just lettuce, cheese, croutons, and the like). It is hard enough to wait in line with a double stroller holding two ornery toddlers, without getting through the line and realizing that there is nothing your children will eat.

For example, one evening they served a personal pizza on the tray. I'm sure they assumed that this, plus a salad and drink, would make a fine meal. My two little ones wouldn't touch the pizza or the salad, so there they sat with a container of milk. I went up to ask if there was some way I could secure some fruit for them. The response was caustic. I was told there was no way they were opening a can of peaches for two little boys. The cook did finally bring two small packages of apple dippers. I know Don doesn't even know of my blog, but I wish I could tell him how much my family missed him (his cooking and his demeanor) this year!

The second day of camp, I had to miss the morning Bible study. I figured I would head over for the class time. However, I discovered that classes had been moved to the first time slot with the Bible study following. I made it to class the next day, but discovered that this class only met for two days (so I had basically missed half of the class). Sadly, I missed all of the other class.

My poor class attendance stemmed from several challenges we faced. The very first morning, my ES awoke complaining of a stomach upset (we now think that he picked up cryptosporidium at the Indiana camp he had attended). He was sick every morning for the first three mornings. I told him to stay in the room until he felt better. He usually headed to class, late, by 11 a.m.

My little boys really struggled with going to their classes this year. YS was inconsolable every time I tried to duck out of his classroom. At first, I lingered to spend more time getting him used to his environment. Then, I had the bright idea that I would show up for class 15 minutes early so that I wouldn't be late for my class, but would still give him time to adjust. In order to do this, I had to bring along MS. Instead of helping YS, it merely multiplied my problem. MS became Sir Echo and began behaving the same way, only with words. "Don't leave me Mommy! Hold me just a little bit longer! Don't go to your class!" The whole thing was very hard on them and very hard on Mommy. I would come to pick up YS and find him sitting against the wall, with his fingers in his mouth, Sleepy Bear tucked under his ear and his other hand draped over his eyes (apparently if he couldn't see his classroom, he could make it go away in his head!).

During all of this, the little boys were exposed to Strep Throat. Yah rah! Amazingly, they didn't come down with strep, although they both picked up a cold and Saturday morning I had to take MS to an urgent care facility because he developed pink eye. This meant he could no longer go to his classes - so, of course, he threw a fit because he now COULDN'T go to his class and had to go with Mommy to her meetings. Isn't that just the way it goes with small children???

On Friday, my husband called to say he would not be able to join us for the final weekend. His father had developed a large protrusion in his abdomen and was in the hospital on what we thought was his death-bed. Because of this, we cancelled our plans to pick up ES's best friend in IL and bring him back with us (something I knew would crush ES, so I agreed to let him go fishing and miss half a meeting).

The final damper on our good time came from other campers who felt a strong need to criticize my decisions (everything from ignoring a temper tantrum MS was throwing when I finally ended the phone tag with Mary and was trying to make our arrangements, to allowing my children to say they wouldn't eat something on their tray, to my failure to attend classes faithfully, to my permission granted to ES to go fishing during half of the missions meeting). Needless to say, this became a hindrance to my enjoyment of camp.

I still am glad that we attended. ES had a blast, despite his illness and despite the absence of a few of his regular friends. He spent his afternoons swimming, fishing, riding the zip line, doing the high ropes course, enjoying the giant swing and playing Guitar Hero in the teen area. He was very helpful. A few times, he stayed with the little boys at a table so I could go through the line alone and more easily carry two trays (minus pushing the double stroller). He stayed with the napper while I headed to get ice for our cooler. He took them to the park while I packed and loaded (since by that time, I couldn't take MS to his class).

I overheard him, this week, telling one of his friends about the ropes course. He was explaining that the guides draw spiritual parallels while instructing. They were told that the ropes represented Jesus. They had to cling to the ropes, but also support one another on the trek across. At one point, ES slipped and fell but was still connected by the ropes to the other individuals crossing the course. He joked, "Hey, Jesus is choking me!" Leave it to ES to find humor in a good spiritual lesson. However, I was thrilled that he related what he was learning!

They also did a cool activity in the tweens group. It was something about clothes pins. They had to clip their clothes pins onto another person and tell them Jesus loves them. ES tried to pin one on MS, but MS was going to have nothing to do with this little testimony. That is, until he was informed that he was to go clip it on someone else. No surprises, he decided to pinch YS with it, all the while saying, "Jesus Loves You."

The two little boys benefited from their classes as well. By the end of the week, MS was sad that he couldn't go and YS had adjusted to being left with someone other than Mommy or Daddy. This is especially good since they will begin attending Parent's Day Out and pre-school together on August 21st. Even if I didn't get as much class time as I had hoped, I still enjoyed many sessions of the Bible study and had a few relaxing mornings in the cabin with ES.

We did get a lot of rest. I think we slept in until 9 most days and missed breakfast all but three times. Too bad breakfast is one of the meals where I know my boys would happily eat the healthy fare! Happily, MS took naps with YS most afternoons. On those afternoons when he didn't, I was able to set him up in the lounge directly across from our room to watch a DVD.

We even made it to the pool one afternoon. I put a life-jacket on MS and managed to keep both of them fairly close. We only lasted an hour, but it was better than I expected. Believe it or not, I did take the two little boys fishing. I pushed the double stroller onto the pier and left YS strapped in, while assisting MS in casting out his mini-fishing pole. Sadly, we didn't catch anything, and MS really only wanted to dump the expensive worms into the water for the fish.

Next year will be much easier. The little boys will be 2-1/2 and almost 5. It will be ES's last year staying in a cabin with us. When he is fourteen, he will attend CBLI with the teen track and stay in a teen cabin. Who knows, maybe my husband will even manage to get the time off work! I wonder if I could get permission for Cardiogirl to go with us. She said she might even give The Salvation Army in her local town a try (after reading my glowing commentary on CBLI). How cool would that be! I know I'll have to make a repeat visit to Mary's house (an oasis above and beyond the CBLI oasis).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, I enjoyed reading about your CBLI week, although I was pained by your struggles. As you said at the end of this blog was as I was thinking too--next year the little boys will be a little older and hopefully along with that a little more manageable. I admire your courage to take them despite the stress of it, knowing that the alternative to skip for a few years would be detrimental particularly to ES. You survived, everyone got a little out of it, and made new memories (good with the bad). I'm at my folks' this week in MN and we're heading to an Olsen reunion at my Uncle Bill's in South Dakota on Thursday, for the weekend. ~Karin