Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February Funk

I can't seem to shake the post-holidays funk. Life goes back to the hum-drums and I feel tired and low. My mother is having kidney stone surgery tomorrow and I am wishing I could just jet off and visit her, down there in sunny Florida. (I mean, really, those boys could stay by themselves for a few days, couldn't they???? It's not like when I go to take a ten minute shower, I come out to find them dragging a dirty sled in off the patio, through the house and towards the basement steps so they can sled down the stairs. Oh wait ... it IS like that around here. Drats!)

My older brother is in London, England, doing an 8 week course at The Salvation Army's International College for Officers. This is where I spent half a year working as a domestic, shortly after graduating from college. I have so many wonderful memories of my times there and I cannot stop thinking about my brother enjoying all of those blessings. I have been wanting to send him a letter or a package (I was thinking he might enjoy receiving In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson, highly recommended by my friend, Bob Hostetler). But then I begin to think, "awww, he wouldn't even really care and besides they probably have his schedule booked solid, leaving no time for extraneous books." Someday I should write a post about the time I sent a care package to my other older brother.

For tonight, all I can muster is a February funk. The snow remains on the ground. The dog continues to reside with us (despite six enquiries and one visit to meet him). He also continues to bring in all manner of filth every time he goes out to do his duty. Not to mention, he has an ear infection which requires twice daily football-worthy tackles to administer the antibiotic. Hubby continues to rant that the dog has to go. Six more weeks of winter? Curses on you, Puxatawny Phil!

2 comments:

Tom McComb said...

Wendy,
I had no idea you were such a writer. I have dreams of getting books published and of writing fiction. But that's a long time off. I'm really impressed with your NaNoWriMo award.

I disagree with you on one point though. I think raising three boys provides plenty of inspiration and application of spiritual principles. Don't change what you write about, but don't sell yourself short spiritually either - you have something significant to say.

I'm really glad we found each others' blogs.

All the best!

Tom

Wendy Hill said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Tom. Yes, I'm really glad we found each other's blogs. Yours gives me such an inspirational pick-up. This is much needed on most days.