Thursday, October 2, 2008

200th Post on a Shattering Day

One of my many weaknesses is tardiness. I know what that says about a person. They don't consider others because they cannot bother to get to the assigned place on time, etc. I promise I never do this on purpose, but I am quite often LATE! I don't think we have made it to the little boys' preschool by 9 a.m. once this year.

I was so determined this morning. I was up and showering by 7:00.  Sean was up by 7:15 and Trevor by 8. Even so, I was pushing. No television during breakfast. Things laid out the night before. Check written for October fee. By 8:40, I ushered the little boys out to the garage and opened the van door (they can both climb in by themselves - Trevor can even do his seat belt).

Of course, they didn't get in. They ran off to their bikes and began riding around on the empty side of the garage. I can deal with that. I ran back inside to grab their lunches off the kitchen counter and stuff them into their backpacks. As I returned to the garage, I heard Trevor say, "Sorry about that. Sorry I did that and it broke. Sorry, Mom." It was perplexing because, as far as I could see through the van windows, he was still sitting on his bike.

As I rounded the back end of the van, I suddenly understood his apology. However, not soon enough! The floor was covered in thick green glass shards and Sean decided at that very moment to get off his bike the only way he knows how. He put his hands down to the ground and pulled his leg over the seat. As he stood up, his hand was dripping blood.

The next half hour was frantic and emotional for everyone but Trevor. It took forever to stop the bleeding. Of course, Sean didn't appreciate the fact that I was persistently pinching his finger, so he persistently tried to wriggle free from my grasp. The band-aid application was also a sight to behold (some of you have tried this one handed maneuver - opening the box, peeling off the protective coverings with the teeth, wrestling upset toddler while trying to secure gauze and band-aid).

I think Trevor was in-tune with the attitudinal vibes I was sending. When I finished badly nursing my patient (there is a reason I never went into the medical field), I found Trevor sitting in his car seat all buckled up looking terribly contrite. He explained that he had found a glass bottle in a bunch of Grandpa's things and dropped it while trying to ride his bike with it.

Once they were both safely fastened, I headed back in to call my husband. I had a dermatologist appointment in a further town this morning and would not be able to clean the mess until after we all returned home at 1:30 p.m. Since he comes home to eat his lunch, I didn't want him to pull into his half of the garage and ruin his tires.

As I cleaned up the mess this afternoon, I thought back to another glass incident with my oldest son. It is a real pain trying to clean up glass. I felt a smidgen of understanding for our neighbor's mother. Just a smidgen. Then, it left as quickly as it came. Kids! I'll have to relate Bryce's glass story at another time, since it is nearly 1 a.m. and I will certainly wake my hubby when I come into the room. He's sure to say, "Didn't you have a full enough day? You had to stay up until 1 a.m. blogging?" Tardy to bed. Tardy to school. Tardy sending cards. Tardy to church. I'm just trying to keep up with the general pattern I have established.

2 comments:

My Three Sons said...

That sounds like a typical day for me as well. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I probably wouldn't have handled it so well. As far as the tardy, I'm always late for everything as well. I could get up at 4:00AM and I'd still be late for a noon appointment. So my motto is, at least I'm consistant!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a 200th post!!!!!!!!!