Monday, October 27, 2008

Seeking Suggestions

Procrastination seems to be my middle name (actually, those who really know me won't be surprised by that).

Case in point: When I lived in DeKalb, our church had a library. One of the ladies in our writer's group happened to serve as the librarian. How embarrassing to have to note that I had failed to return a book to the library which had been due for many months. The title of the book was something like "Cure Your Procrastination in One Month" - sadly, I put off reading the book, until I finally just returned it, unread. For some of us, there may be no hope.

After dashing off a note to the Olympus camera help site, asking if there is any way to retrieve my son's birthday photos and videos from off the camera (which will not open due to the sand), I heard absolutely nothing. Yes, Olympus, you TOO have a problem with procrastination and I'm willing to tell the world! Instead of calling Olympus, which I contemplated many times, I have sat here doing nothing. I have thought of calling Walmart, just to ask if they could at least print the photos, if I bring in the memory card. Alas, I have merely sat here pining the loss of my camera.

This week, of course, I'm going to want a camera to take pictures of my boys in their costumes (although, I do have plenty of costume photos of MS - who is, actually, getting out of that phase now). At this point, I don't even know what they will be. I figure, with two boxes full of costumes, they could pick anything at the last minute. I would love to see MS wear the red Teletubby costume which my mother-in-law made for ES back when he was 3, but MS has never shown the slightest interest in the rotund costume complete with circular head gear. I don't really blame him. Hmm - Teletubby or Spiderman? Teletubby or Batman? Teletubby or Superman? Who'd want to be a teletubby, I ask?

My hubby would like me to purchase a new camcorder, since our other one is an older model (there's another blog post). I think he wants to combine the camera/camcorder purchase and he wants it to be something ES can use to upload videos to YouTube (because he is so eager to share his Rock Band and Guitar Hero prowess with the multitudes). I don't really know much about cameras or camcorders. My last camera, an Olympus FE-170 was only purchased two years ago, but didn't offer sound with the video option. I'm wondering if I should just get another Olympus (which offers the video option with sound now) or if any of you readers have a great camera you wish to recommend.

My son's friends have a Flip camcorder, which allows easy transfer of videos to You Tube. Perhaps, I should just get a separate camera and Flip. Obviously, money is a question (otherwise, I would throw caution to the wind and merely go out and buy the best camera with video capabilities that money can buy). For a great laugh, watch this SNL sketch promoting this novel idea, "Don't Buy What You Can't Afford."

I don't want to repeat my first digital camera experience. I bought a digital camera through a rebate offer for $20. That was $20 more than I should have spent. Our present camcorder still works, but is the old kind where you end up with tapes you have to play back on your television (perhaps hubby is realizing if the camcorder also gets trashed - not out of the question in a house full of boys - we will be unable to view any of those tapes).

Even from this discussion, I'm sure you can tell that I am in the dark ages when it comes to technology. Sorry, I'm just not a Gadget Girl. I don't have an MP-3 player. I even bought a cheap $5 cassette player recently because I miss listening to some of my old cassettes. I worry that our present computer will crash - not so much because I will lose everything on here (although, that could be a concern) - but mostly, because I would have to adapt to the change of learning how to get around on a new upgraded computer.

So, if you have a camera or camcorder that you love or swear by, let me know. If you know how to retrieve photos or videos from a memory card when the camera is no longer functioning, let me know. If you just want to comment to tell me what a loser I am - no comment necessary, duly noted without your input. You didn't really think a person whose middle name is Procrastinator, would have up-to-date photography skills, did you? Heck, I don't even have up-to-date stationery (go ahead and snort, Cardiogirl!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a techno chick at all. And I don't have a camera/camcorder I swear by. Geez, why am I even leaving a comment?

I was thinking if you know the camera is trashed, can you pry open the memory card opening/door gently using a flat head screw driver? On our camera once you open that section the memory card pops out with a push.

Yes, I'm suggesting brute force because it sounds like the camera is useless and you just want the card.

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. Except to call the 800 number. It's possible they could have you mail the camera in so they can retrieve the memory card and then mail it back to you.

Good luck.

Amy Sorensen said...

Can you get your memory card out of your camera? If so, most photo places can print right from a memory card. When you get your new camera, get a card reader, too. It plugs into your computer and sits on your desk, and then when you want to move your photos from the memory card to the computer, you take the card out of your camera, plug it into the card reader, and download. WAY faster than plugging your camera into your computer. Plus, I think they're fairly cheap...under twenty bucks.

I think that most point-and-shoot cameras now come with video, too. We are Canon fans at our house!

Amy Sorensen said...

PS, I am totally with you on the procrastination thing. I am AWFUL at this. I am currently procrastinating my Christmas procrastination. Yay me.

Anonymous said...

I got a huge chuckle out of the library book title you checked out!! When we were in Arizona at the beginning of the month, our camera dropped into the desert sand in the transfer from me to Mark. At first the lens wouldn't open, but Michael fussed with it enough to get it working again. However, I knew there were little pieces of sand that would make it unreliable and so I replaced it with a Canon SD950. It has higher megapixels than we'll ever need, but it has a video with sound on it and a better zoom than we had. I had all of about 2 days to decide on a new camera, so I went with the recommendation of the Hummer tour guide who was with us when the other camera literally bit the dust. I had my 20-year college reunion and wanted a reliable camera along--which is why I didn't waste time figuring out my other options. I read a few reviews and it sounded good. Good luck with your search. The videos load easy off the camera to the computer, but are too big to email, probably would upload fine to Utube, but haven't experimented. ~Karin