Monday, October 13, 2008

Help Urge More Childhood Cancer Funding!

Tonight, I was visiting a Caringbridge site for Mariah Klein. She was my niece Amelia's friend and she recently went to be with the Lord, after battling DIPG. Mariah's mother brought attention to another inexpensive way you can influence the pull for more childhood cancer funding.

She wrote:
"You may remember that Stand Up To Cancer aired on all three networks about a month ago. Well, there is a group of 20 people who are now deciding what areas of cancer research to spend the $100 MILLION that was raised. Here's what you can do. Go to http://www.standup2cancer.org/ scroll down to the bottom, at the left side is the contact us link. (Very small wording) Click there, fill out the form selecting "Request SU2C funding" in the drop down menu. In the comments ask for funding for childhood cancers such as DIPG because of their lack of funding and extremely low survival rate. It only takes a minute and you will be helping show support of all these children with the same tumor."


It only takes a moment. I sent a comment. In my comment, I mentioned that greater awareness and numerous advances were brought about by the intense campaigning for breast cancer awareness, yet childhood cancer awareness month went by last month, almost unnoticed. Too many children are dying. Too many of these cancers strike aggressively and leave empty hands and hearts.

The other day, I realized that this isn't merely a new interest for me since my niece was diagnosed with a childhood cancer. It is true that I have become more active about supporting and encouraging those in the childhood cancer battle since it hit my own family personally. But, it dawned on me that my passion for this battle goes back further.

When I was around 10 years old, I met a girl in my class named Janet. She was bald because she was battling cancer. She became a good friend to me and had me over for sleep-overs a few times. I watched her bravely fight. I returned home from summer camp to learn that she had passed away. I think of her to this day. Several years ago, I visited her home and had a chance to speak with her father. I told him that I still remembered Janet and that I had written a short story in college prompted by her life.

I know I don't have many readers, but it would please me immensely if you would go to the StandUp2Cancer site and request a larger portion of those funds for childhood cancer research. It would thrill me even more if you let me know you did so in my comments. Let's flood their in-box with requests that more than 3 cents of every dollar raised be spent on finding a cure for the various forms of childhood cancer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great way to help request more funds to be directed to childhood cancer research. Thanks for providing the link. I did the same as you, urging that more needed to be done to cure childhood cancer. ~Karin