Friday, October 10, 2008

A Free Theater Treat

There are two things I have missed for many years now (pretty much since children came into the picture): travel and the theater. I seized opportunities in my college years to travel overseas on several occasions. But, since the boys entered our lives, I haven't traveled overseas once. My passport has expired. Sob. Sob.

My first memory of a professional theater experience involved riding public transportation with my high school Honors English class and "Harsh Ms. Karsh" across the city of Chicago to see a presentation of a Shakespearean play (wish I could remember which one, but they all blur together in my mind, somehow). I believe at that moment, I was hooked. Like my first experience with downhill skiing, I couldn't wait until I could go again. Unlike my downhill skiing experience, I actually did go again, and often.

I attended several performances at Wheaton College and during my Wheaton-in-England term, I even saw As You Like It, performed in Stratford by the Royal Shakespeare Theatre Company. There were many other plays I attended in England as well: Daisy Pulls it Off!, Singin' in the Rain, All's Well That Ends Well, Vanity Fair, Brigadoon, The Wandering Jew, Mousetrap, Midsummer Night's Dream, A View from the Bridge, Hapgood, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, and Les Miserables. I enjoyed going to see Cats in downtown Chicago with several Wheaton friends so much that a few weeks later, I secured tickets and took my 10 year old brother Tim to see it.

Of course, I have always been deeply saddened by the differences between the theatre experience in England and the theater experience in America. In England, theatre is accessible to all and fairly reasonably priced (especially if you are a student - I paid five and a half pounds to see Les Miserables from a second row seat). Here in the States, it seems that theater is far more expensive and attended by the select few.

I'm guessing this observation may be what prompted the Theatre Communications Group's national audience development program to promote Free Night of Theater. I am absolutely thrilled that I took the time to read my newspaper last night. On page B3, in a 2x5 inch column, I discovered this promotion. This first-come, first-served opportunity offered tickets for four different productions. I logged on here the moment it began, at noon today, and secured two tickets for a performance of Macbeth, at the Indiana Repertory Theatre. Apparently, this option is being offered in other cities besides Indianapolis, so check it out.

I am hoping to take my ES along (even though it is the night before he is scheduled to go to Indiana Beach with a friend). I really want to expose ES to this kind of cultural experience. I must admit, though, I am worried that he will hate it and I will have ruined my evening as well. The website indicates that it is a modern rendition. This could help. I remember seeing a fabulous modern rendition of The Merchant of Venice, during a Spring Break trip to England while I was teaching high school. I came back pumped to teach it to my Junior English class.

We shall see what happens. Tonight, I mentioned the free tickets and my plan. If he really pitches a fit, I will have to try to find someone else to go with me (that or attend alone - which I have done numerous times). Still, I am very excited to have managed free tickets. Now, if only I could find free air-fare for a trip to England. Then again, that would require finding a sitter; scratch that idea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

come see screwtape letters with me! it's here until the first week of november!

Wendy Hill said...

Anonymous - I'd love to see Screwtape Letters, but you didn't leave your name, location or cost of the performance. Come on, fess up please!