Monday, October 6, 2008

Only Time for Tid-bits

They say "every cloud has a silver lining." Ever since YS received a glass cut to one of the two middle fingers on his left hand, he has been unwilling to put his two fingers in his mouth (in his normal comfort stance - see photo here). The first night and naps were difficult. He woke often, crying because he wanted his fingers, but didn't want to suck band-aid! I actually removed the band-aid for him Friday night (don't think he was using the two fingers for comfort at any of the times I checked on him that night), but Saturday morning had to reapply. When we arrived at the park for our walk, I discovered blood on the car seat and upholstery. Thank goodness for our first aid kit in the car! I am sincerely praying that this will be the weaning process for that comfort crutch.

MS still hasn't received his pet (a promised birthday gift), so on Sunday, he found a caterpillar and declared it to be his "new pet, Trophy." He continued to use this name for the pet the rest of the day. He begged to keep the caterpillar in the aquarium overnight. This morning, surprisingly, it was still alive (but hanging by a thread). He let Trophy go and urged him to go find some food in the ground.

ES has been selected as eligible to participate in the 2009 Northwestern University's Midwest Academic Talent Search. This is another opportunity we will leave to his decision. If he does participate, he will take either the ACT or SAT and his scores will be compared with other students who participate. I just recently pulled out an old file of my grades and found my ACT scores. He looked them over. Now, I think he might decide to participate just to see if he can best the scores I earned when taking the test in my junior year.

Now, for a tid-bit about another boy: Please continue to pray for Coleman Larson and his family. They had headed back to New York to begin a new treatment. Unfortunately, the preliminary MRI's revealed a spread of his cancer and the cancer must be reduced before he can begin this new treatment. I know some readers may not wish to join CarePages, in order to keep abreast of Coleman's struggle, but I can link to a You Tube video of these adorable twins from their first trip to NY a few weeks back. They have captured my heart and my prayers.

No comments: